Toshiba Satellite won't let me change the homepage

oldtimer43

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
I've changed it in the Control Panel, but when I open Google Chrome the homepage is still www.toshiba.com. I really, really don't want this as my homepage.

Solution
I have been searching for an answer on this for a couple of days. Basically, from what I can tell, Toshiba has hijacked Google Chrome and will not allow you to change away from "start.toshiba.com". I have edited that out of the registry, changed it as per the Toshiba instructions (which is completely disingenuous when they act like this was not their intent - to drive false traffic to their website).

Basically, don't ever buy another Toshiba product. That's how I'm fixing this issue. Eventually it will fix itself if everyone else follows this method.

There is apparently no solution.

Herald Williamson

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

You need to change the On Startup settings. Why Chrome has such terrible UX for homepage settings is beyond me... but... here's how you do it.

1) Go to Settings by clicking the three lines at the top right, or wrench icon.
2) There is an "On Startup" section with three options:
--> Open the New Tab page
--> Continue where you left off
--> Open a specific page or set of pages [ Set Pages ]
3) Click the "Set Pages" Hyperlink.
4) Remove the Toshiba homepage, and add your own.

Personally I prefer the "Open the New Tab page" option... it gives you a list of the most used pages and a search...

Side note: I prefer Apple products as they don't come loaded with too much stuff. Any windows machine I purchase I format immediately. I'd recommend looking into that and finding a clean copy of Windows, purchased via Microsoft .... not your computer manufacturer because if you use the recovery stuff you'll just end up with the bloat being reinstalled.

Rick Hollmer

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
I have been searching for an answer on this for a couple of days. Basically, from what I can tell, Toshiba has hijacked Google Chrome and will not allow you to change away from "start.toshiba.com". I have edited that out of the registry, changed it as per the Toshiba instructions (which is completely disingenuous when they act like this was not their intent - to drive false traffic to their website).

Basically, don't ever buy another Toshiba product. That's how I'm fixing this issue. Eventually it will fix itself if everyone else follows this method.

There is apparently no solution.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS