Solved! Toshiba TV immediately force closes all menus

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2020
I've had a Toshiba TV (24w2963db specifically) for about a year now and it's been absolutely fine until recently where it's started immediately dismissing all menus as soon as they're open. This includes volume menus, TV input menus and unfortunately the main menu so I can't even get there to reset it.

I've done searches everywhere I can think of, and as far as I can tell there's no way of resetting the TV outside of that options menu that refuses to stay on the screen.
Some things I've tried:
  • I thought maybe that the remote was sending constant exit messages to it, but I put my camera up to the remote and it's not doing anything unusual.
  • I tried using my phone as the remote using the Toshiba app, and that does exactly the same thing.
  • I've tried unplugging it, waiting for a few minutes, then plugging it back in again.
  • I left it off over night and restarted it again in the morning.
  • I've tried using holding multi-function button on the side down to force it to restart multiple times in various different combinations. At one point I accidentally ended up in the digital manual on the TV itself (which worked absolutely fine), but after closing it it just resumed immediately exiting out of any menus.
  • I've tried all of the buttons on the remote. Pressing the Netflix/Prime Video/Freeview Play/Web browser buttons on the remote/in the app works fine and loads them normally, where I can navigate around them just fine, but attempting to bring any menu up exits out of the app and continues force closing them. The volume menu also continues force closing as soon as it appears.
  • As a final troubleshooting thought before giving up I tried disconnecting it from the net, thinking it could be a rogue network message forcing it to close all menus, and even that did nothing so I'm pretty stumped as to what could be causing it.
See below for a video of the issue. Please note I am only pressing the button once:

I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar thing happen, or if anyone has any other ideas as to what could be causing the issue? I'm open to just resetting the TV if that's at all possible using the remote or the multi-function button on the side of the TV if there's a combination that works. Thanks for any help.

Reactions: NellNerd
Solution
If it's a smart TV check if there are any firmware updates for it. 24" TV not really worth getting any parts to fix it, they are like $40-50 used and working.
May 7, 2020
It auto-updates according to the manual, which is what I think caused the issue in the first place. The only problem is I can't find the firmware anywhere to manually update it (if that's even possible). Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm not massively bothered about it, but it works fine apart from this entirely software issue so it'd be a shame to replace it so soon.

It auto-updates according to the manual, which is what I think caused the issue in the first place. The only problem is I can't find the firmware anywhere to manually update it (if that's even possible). Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm not massively bothered about it, but it works fine apart from this entirely software issue so it'd be a shame to replace it so soon.

If it's a smart TV there should be an option in it to check for updates, unless you are on the latest version then you may need to hunt down an older version and flash it through a USB service port (most newer TVs have those). If it's in warranty just contact Toshiba or where you bought it, but really for a small TV if it's out of warranty, they are so cheap to get that finding/buying parts or paying someone to do it would cost more than used working set.

May 7, 2020
Unfortunately finding the auto update option is out of the question as all the menus disappear immediately. It appears the only real options I have is to wait for an update to hopefully fix it, find an older firmware version somewhere, or get rid of it.

Thanks again for your help though, it's much appreciated.

Reactions: NellNerd
Status
Not open for further replies.