Toshiba Unveils TVs with Battery Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
TV's don't require that much power, so honestly, it's not that impressive at all, especially at 32 inches and below. However, combining the two is a neat idea. I want to see the prices before I think further into this.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Generally when you're power goes out, so does the signal to whatever you were watching. Unless you're watching a movie, or have Tivo, doesn't seem too useful.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
There is still over the air broadcasts to pick up, and you can take the cable out of the cable box and hook it up directly into the TV. Power going out does not affect the signal over cable, just like if you have an old fashioned phone, those will work even if the power goes out.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
How amazing, especially since unless your using an antenna, you probably have a cable or satellite box.... heck DVD box, so mighty good your tv will be when you dont have a source to watch it, How about those who have audio through a receiver. Invest in a 200$ UPS and power the necessary devices for whatever period of time. I applaud trying to make a product better but how much can this REALLY be used. Heck theres times when i move a TV around and it would be nice to still leave it on so you can have the game on in the background or whatever but it all comes down to the source

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
This makes no sense. no power = no cable box, no DVD/BR, no game console, no PC.

What is really the purpose of having a TV that stays on after the power is out?

If you are in an area that is prone to black outs and power fluctuations then your other electrical devices are prone to those same black outs and power fluctuations. Your TV may still be on but that gold level run you are making on GT5 just disappeared during the black out.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Prince_Porter[/nom]Generally when you're power goes out, so does the signal to whatever you were watching. Unless you're watching a movie, or have Tivo, doesn't seem too useful.[/citation]
Well if you're in a country where the power goes out a lot, you're probably getting tv over the air.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
You guys are missing the point. These aren't being marketed to you. There are people in the world who don't have cable. And if you don't want to miss your favorite team's game, then this is useful.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
It's not about you, guys. It's about people who live in areas that have limited access to electricity, say 10 hours a day. Get over yourselves, thanks, bye.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jgutz2006[/nom]How amazing, especially since unless your using an antenna, you probably have a cable or satellite box.... heck DVD box, so mighty good your tv will be when you dont have a source to watch it, How about those who have audio through a receiver. Invest in a 200$ UPS and power the necessary devices for whatever period of time. I applaud trying to make a product better but how much can this REALLY be used. Heck theres times when i move a TV around and it would be nice to still leave it on so you can have the game on in the background or whatever but it all comes down to the source[/citation]
you're assuming this is marketed for an affluent market. Billions of people in the world still rely on over the air broadcasts.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]This makes no sense. no power = no cable box, no DVD/BR, no game console, no PC.What is really the purpose of having a TV that stays on after the power is out?If you are in an area that is prone to black outs and power fluctuations then your other electrical devices are prone to those same black outs and power fluctuations. Your TV may still be on but that gold level run you are making on GT5 just disappeared during the black out.[/citation]
see above

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]quantum mask[/nom]you're assuming this is marketed for an affluent market. Billions of people in the world still rely on over the air broadcasts.[/citation]

Limited electricity and they are being marketed for High Definition 3D televisions???

Thank God their (corporations) priorities are straight.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jabliese[/nom]It's not about you, guys. It's about people who live in areas that have limited access to electricity, say 10 hours a day. Get over yourselves, thanks, bye.[/citation]

wrong reply but you get the point

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]Limited electricity and they are being marketed for High Definition 3D televisions???Thank God their (corporations) priorities are straight.[/citation]
Even in countries where electricity is sketchy, you have rich people and you have poor people. Even if the electricity goes out a lot, the rich people are still going to want the best that technology can give. Obviously there's a market for it. And for the poor, a TV is the ONLY luxury that they will have. Don't know how they obtain them, but they do.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
in my experience a ups usually lasts 3-5 years before the batteries start to die ( i live in fl we have really dirty power due to storms) and tv's usually last alot nlogner than that, my origional lcd is 7 years old and i hoep it lasts many mroe years... seems like this coudl result in a nonusable tv when the batteries go if the batteries aren't replacable

Status
Not open for further replies.