Totally blank screen on Toshiba Satellite L850

Not-an-it-guy

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014
Hi

I have a Toshiba Satellite L850 laptop. Yesterday the screen went "funny" (distorted, scrolling left and right and with GRB lines on the screen) this has happened before and so I held the 'on' button until it shut down and then restarted. It was still going crazy so I switched it off and left it.

Later in the evening I tried again and this time nothing happened, the screen is blank, and while it sounds like it's starting I don't think it's actually progressing. Additionally it seems the keys aren't working - can't turn on caps or number lock.

I have tried the trick of removing the battery and power and holding the 'on' button a few times with no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Dancanplay

Estimable
Jul 16, 2014

You are not alone, i have the same problem. Tried changing ram and hard drive, no joy. Look like motherboard problem.

tuone_

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
There is probably a bug with the L850d motherboard. I have the same problem and have seen alot of l850d going bust with the screen error. probably could even do a class action to find out what it is if all the laptops have the same fault. The one who can identify what exactly goes wrong on the mainboard to make it go dud can make some money, because there are LOOOOOADS of faulty l850 motherboards on ebay, and practically all the l850 on sale have error, screen is black... on my one the power jack light stays off too, even when its plugged in, and it recharges the battery ok. if one of the lights is messed up it;'s definately mainboard.

Eyetguy

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

My daughter have same problem her laptop. But if a plug external display it works. It might be a problem with display itself or connectors.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Laptop Tech Support 0
N Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 2
H Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
Limyx826 Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 5
Y Laptop Tech Support 3