Question Touchpad pointer missing on screen.

Jul 25, 2022
Hello to members of the forums. I have a bit of an issue if anyone can help. The laptop I'm having a problem with is an ASUS X540SA and it's running windows 10 64 bit. Recently today I turned on to discover my touchpad pointer on screen missing.

I believe it definitely has do to with some sort of driver issue because when I go to device manager, the touchpad is missing and I notice there's an yellow exclamation next to the I2C HID Device which I think it could be related

These are the methods I've tried already to see what would help:

1. Pressing mouse disable function(FN and F9) but it did not help.

2. An ASUS support video suggested Uninstalling/Reinstalling the Intel Serial IO Host Controller and I2C HID Device along with a system restart, but it didn't help .

3. Installing the drivers from the ASUS support site, but that didn't help.

4. Running the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command in command prompt as an Admin, but that also didn't help.

Right now, I am currently running a system restore to see if this will do the trick but it's been stuck on "Please wait while windows files and settings are being restored. System restore is initializing" for quite few hours now and I'm not sure what else to do.

Anyone got any other ideas? Thanks.