Touchscreen Ultrabooks With Gaming Capabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hey guys, I will be purchasing an ultrabook within the next 2 years for university and I'm very interested in the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/yoga/yoga-13/ .

I would love the ability to go from tablet to laptop by just flipping the screen back and I love how it has an SSD and it's lightweight. It's like a touchscreen MacBook Air with Windows 8! However, one thing that bothers me is Intel HD 4000 and no configuration for a quad core processor. Do you guys think should buy this now or wait for another variant of this later that will have a haswell cpu and gpu? Intel HD 5000/haswell graphics are supposed to be A LOT better than HD 4000. Waiting is really not too much of an issue. I will mainly be using this 2 years down the road for university.

So, should I get the Ideapad Yoga 13 w/ intel hd 4000 or wait for another variant of it with a Haswell cpu releasing Q2 next year?

Also, are there any touchscreen ultrabooks with discrete graphics? I haven't been able to find one...I wish there was a AMD trinity version of the Ideapad Yoga or one with a GT 650M... :(

Solution
If you want to game dont get an ultrabook all ultrabooks will have the Intel HD 4000. "ultrabook" is an intel marketing term its a thin laptop with all Intel parts(cpu, gpu, chipset, etc). Even if the HD5000 is better than the HD4000 I highly doubt it will play modern games better than even the lower end nvidia and amd mobile gpus.

bignastyid

Splendid
If you want to game dont get an ultrabook all ultrabooks will have the Intel HD 4000. "ultrabook" is an intel marketing term its a thin laptop with all Intel parts(cpu, gpu, chipset, etc). Even if the HD5000 is better than the HD4000 I highly doubt it will play modern games better than even the lower end nvidia and amd mobile gpus.

Solution
You probably need to wait a bit since laptops with touchscreens just came out. While there has been talk about a GTX 650m in an ultrabook back in May, that has so far not happened. It think the best I've seen in an ultrabook is a GT 640 LE (maybe), then again, I have not kept up with them since I have no interest in buying one.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

This is out now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230672

While technically an ultrabook, it appears to be not much more than an ultra thin and overpriced 15" notebook though :p

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012
My feelings tell me to get it and have fun now. My brain tells me that I'm gonna regret it in Q2 2013 when haswell comes out or a GT 650M hybrid laptop/tablet comes out.....AHHHH DAMN YOU ADVANCING TECHNOLOGY! But seriously, the Ideapad Yoga is amazing! It can double as an Android tablet thanks to Android x86 and the fact that it has a 10 FINGER MULTI-TOUCH SCREEN! 600000 Android Apps on top of a Windows App Store that is growing everyday + thousands and thousands of older games that run on Intel HD 4000 + MMORPG's!

There is no doubt that I can be kept busy for a really long time with this laptop. The only thing I won't have is the ability to play GTA: V ( GTA 4 is my favourite game) and all the other awesome games coming out soon...This is still a really hard decision...I guess I'll just choose a best answer and think it through over the next few days. OR you amazing people at Tom's Hardware Forums can convince me to buy it or to not buy it?

Answer below what you think please. Thanks!

Wow... so the GTX 650m has finally made it onto an "ultrabook". However, I think an ultrabook is supposed to have a ULV CPU; that ultrabook seems to have a regular mobile i7 "QM" CPU so it's almost an ultrabook. The GTX 650m is definitely not upgradeable (just like 99%+ of laptops) though since there's no room for an MXM expansion slot in an ultrabook.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Agreed, I think they just self proclaimed "ultra book" on that one based on the thin chassis and low weight, thought it was worth mentioning though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.