Toyota Admits Braking Problems with New Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey, you want to save the Earth, or your life?
Get your priorities straight.
What's a few seconds when emergency braking anyway?

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
So Steve Wozniak was right in a previous article by Jane:
"Apple Co-Founder Slams Prius Software Problem". When you're on the lead, you just can't get "Go, Go, Go" out of your head.

traesta

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Toyota needs to get it together... as a mechanic I can say that they are one of the top manufacturers of quality vehicles and when they put the new ft-86 out I plan on being one of the first people to go buy one and I dont want to worry about stupid crap going wrong

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I heard Toyota lost over 30 billion dollars in the last year due to recalls and stagnant sales. Incredible. My 4runner is still awesome though.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Maybe the [citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]So Steve Wozniak was right in a previous article by Jane:"Apple Co-Founder Slams Prius Software Problem". When you're on the lead, you just can't get "Go, Go, Go" out of your head.[/citation]
Of course, if Apple had designed the Prius it wouldn't have multitasking. You could steer, or brake, but not both at the same time.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Woz was observing a completely different 'issue' and is still just a blowhard complaining about a U/I problem (the cruise control makes the car go faster, OMG!) Based on the problem description, there is a failure mode, *due to physically abusing the car* that is causing this problem. I am not saying Toyota shouldn't build a system that is robust enough to tolerate things like uneven railroad tracks at high speeds, but let's keep this in perspective.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I fail to see why the media in general is dragging Toyota through the mud over all this. Apparently the braking issue isn't even a safety issue, it just feels odd because of the regenerative braking system in the vehicle.

As far as I can tell they've done their best to control the situation...

What they've done:
1. Find the source of the issue and admit there's an issue.
2. Shut down worldwide production for the products affected (How many other auto makers have ever done this to fix a flaw?).
3. Send employees to training during the shutdown period (They could have just laid them off like the other guys do).
4. Issue a recall program with fix for products out in the market (Extended service hours, funding to hire extra service staff to implement the fix).

Honestly, as far as I can tell they're doing a pretty damn fine job of rectifying the situation, as a result of this media attention I'd actually feel safer buying a Toyota now than ever before, at least I know the product is going to be backed up by the company if anything ever does go wrong.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I fail to see why the media in general is dragging Toyota through the mud over all this. Apparently the braking issue isn't even a safety issue, it just feels odd because of the regenerative braking system in the vehicle.As far as I can tell they've done their best to control the situation...What they've done:1. Find the source of the issue and admit there's an issue.2. Shut down worldwide production for the products affected (How many other auto makers have ever done this to fix a flaw?).3. Send employees to training during the shutdown period (They could have just laid them off like the other guys do).4. Issue a recall program with fix for products out in the market (Extended service hours, funding to hire extra service staff to implement the fix).Honestly, as far as I can tell they're doing a pretty damn fine job of rectifying the situation, as a result of this media attention I'd actually feel safer buying a Toyota now than ever before, at least I know the product is going to be backed up by the company if anything ever does go wrong.[/citation]

True that.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I fail to see why the media in general is dragging Toyota through the mud over all this. Apparently the braking issue isn't even a safety issue, it just feels odd because of the regenerative braking system in the vehicle.As far as I can tell they've done their best to control the situation...What they've done:1. Find the source of the issue and admit there's an issue.2. Shut down worldwide production for the products affected (How many other auto makers have ever done this to fix a flaw?).3. Send employees to training during the shutdown period (They could have just laid them off like the other guys do).4. Issue a recall program with fix for products out in the market (Extended service hours, funding to hire extra service staff to implement the fix).Honestly, as far as I can tell they're doing a pretty damn fine job of rectifying the situation, as a result of this media attention I'd actually feel safer buying a Toyota now than ever before, at least I know the product is going to be backed up by the company if anything ever does go wrong.[/citation]

Amen to that :p they arn't like other companys most cover up the problem they are facing it head on and making sure there users are safe

Status
Not open for further replies.