Toyota Debuts Plug-In Prius Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

that's awfully expensive for 5.2KW
The Volt battery is 16 KW by comparison. It's rated for 40M and on a cold day, you'll be lucky to hit 25-30.

This thing will barely get you out of your driveway on a winter morning. Might be enough to heat your seats :)

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
$11,000 just to be able to plug in your Prius? Isn't the battery supposed to recharge while you are driving it? So if you have to plug in your Prius to recharge it doesn't that mean you aren't driving it enough? And what good is getting 40+ mpg if by the time you get there everyone is gone?

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
the volt is more of an electric motor with a gasoline engine when the batteries run out, while the prius is more of a balance between the two.
yes, battery recharges, but at the same time it is also using it. the battery recharges up to a certain point then the prius will run more on the electric motor and once the battery depletes to a certain level, the car runs more on the gas engine to recharge the battery. the battery level these occur differ on the speed the prius is traveling.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]280volt where? I've got 240 in my garage but this is the first I've heard of 280. Am I missing something?[/citation]
you are forgetting to overclock your house voltage

G

$32,000 for the base model? Then considering their top model costs $5,000 more, you'll be paying $37,000 before taxes and dealer slapped on "extras". Also, considering its 0-60 time of the 2012 plugin hybrid is 10.9 seconds, you'll be mashing your foot down every time you enter the highway -- which kills the mpg. Which leads me to conclude with this TopGear video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badoMjA_rW0

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
wow...i still love the Diesel GOLF...i will never have to worry about overpriced batteries, plus better MPG and more power...36-38 mpg CITY and 45-47mpg HWY

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]wow...i still love the Diesel GOLF...i will never have to worry about overpriced batteries, plus better MPG and more power...36-38 mpg CITY and 45-47mpg HWY[/citation]

You're right. I'm waiting for econo cars to become hybird. Then we can finally start seeing dramatic increases - 50% better than current small cars, instead of just seeing 30mpg on cars that normally get 20mpg......

G

36-38 isn't better than a prius. neither is 45-47.

We get 55-60.

G

what a well written article. Maybe i'll start reading engadget instead of toms...

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Well, I'm in favor of the 280V thing 'cos maybe that is normal household current on Mars, here on earth we use 110/220 as a standard, of course the range is slightly different due to fluctuations but never a constant high or a constant low. :) and 440 is Industrial.....
Whoever gave the downthumb to the first guy Bak0n, I must say, you guys really are oblivious to facts. He is right, this is the first I heard of 280 in any standard home appliance outlet too.

fuzzyplankton

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
There is 120/240, 208/230, 240, 277/480, 600 volts all used in the U.S. and a few otheres plus unused high legs voltages. This is a mix of single phase and three phase voltages. I dont remember a 280 ever over seas. Must have been a typo. Only 120/240 single phase are in homes.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
From the net: "The star point coil voltage of a 480 volt three phase system is 277 volts." Appear to be a 3 phase thing.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]tooexpensiveprius[/nom]$32,000 for the base model? Then considering their top model costs $5,000 more, you'll be paying $37,000 before taxes and dealer slapped on "extras". Also, considering its 0-60 time of the 2012 plugin hybrid is 10.9 seconds, you'll be mashing your foot down every time you enter the highway -- which kills the mpg. Which leads me to conclude with this TopGear video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badoMjA_rW0[/citation]
And any care that does 0-60 much faster is going to get significantly less MPG than any Prius.
Top Gear are, IMHO, hacks. They only thing they care about is speed at any cost. They have no interest in efficiency. Not to mention, where on Earth is anyone, anyone going to need 0-60 like a Bugatti can do? Drive that way in a Bugatti and you'll get arrested unless you are on a track or some place where the speed is unlimited.

But some how, these guys at Top Gear think that "high speed at any cost" makes them men. Personally, I find these guys rather empty, and I am male.

With 274 ft-lb of torque in its electric motor available from a standstill, the Prius can beat many cars - even pimped out cars - off the line and in short distances. I know, I've done it in my 2nd Gen Prius. But pointing that out for the Top Gear guys would somehow damage their macho image. IMHO, they can all go hang out with Arnold. They all have as much, or should I say little, brains as Ahnold does. :p
[citation][nom]cbag[/nom]36-38 isn't better than a prius. neither is 45-47.We get 55-60.[/citation]
And that is CITY mileage!!!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Hybirds should not cost more than the fuel saved using small & cheap cars.[/citation]
They don't - savings pays out over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.