Toyota Drivers Say 'Fixed' Cars Still Accelerating

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishwin

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
So after MILLIONS of cars were recalled, it is somehow breaking news that "at least 15" still have problems?

Take the amount of cars fixed by licensed mechanics/dealers each year. How many of those have a relapse of the offending issues?

A TINY percentage of cars still having problems after repairs is NOTHING NEW, why is this being made into a big deal?

G

So far as I know, acceleration isn't a design flaw; it's a physical law. No car will ever go from 0-60 in 0.0 seconds. Why can't people accept this?

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I know of a friend that has one. She was worried about it but now I don't think she is too worried about it. If 5 millions of these cars were sold and 3 thousands people put in complaints that is only .6% of the people. This is not that many. However, I do feel for the people who had the issues :( Hope they find a fix for it!!

sickofsoyo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
"So after MILLIONS of cars were recalled, it is somehow breaking news that "at least 15" still have problems?

Take the amount of cars fixed by licensed mechanics/dealers each year. How many of those have a relapse of the offending issues?

A TINY percentage of cars still having problems after repairs is NOTHING NEW, why is this being made into a big deal?"

because the issue isn't a physical issue, its a programming issue with the onboard computer that controls the electronic throttle body. Its going wide open causing the cars to accelerate. Toyota is hiding this because it would cost a lot of money to fix. It has been reproduced by a professor at a school showing its a programming issue.

http://dailyegyptian.com/2010/02/23/1831 just one quick source

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Poor Toyota. Its going to take a long times and lots of money for them to reclaim their reputation and consumers' confidence.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rishwin[/nom]So after MILLIONS of cars were recalled, it is somehow breaking news that "at least 15" still have problems?Take the amount of cars fixed by licensed mechanics/dealers each year. How many of those have a relapse of the offending issues?A TINY percentage of cars still having problems after repairs is NOTHING NEW, why is this being made into a big deal?[/citation]

because people could die if they get in a crash. just imagine that you were driving and a Toyota owner just t-boned your ass at an intersection. get the point?

phenix1819

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Why arent we discussing the other recalls happening at the moment?? seems like after toyota did the recall everyone else grew the balls to do them too, but for some reason are being overlooked

sickofsoyo

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
because toyota decided to try and hide theirs when it covered millions upon millions of vehicles... and the other recalls arent as severe and dangerous as this. the GM powersteering recall is for an ASSISSTIVE technology, you can still turn the car without it. And it was for a cobalt and a G5, the two lowest model cars GM offers... people already knew what they were getting into when they bought them, haha

siman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Software is what it sounds to me, drive by wire system is failing and the actuator that controls the throttle body floors it.

G

Toyota software fixes brought to you by ATI Catalyst driver team - yeah we fixed the GSOD in 10.2, oh wait... doh!

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]stratplaya[/nom]I'd still buy a Toyota over a Government Motors (GM or Chrysler)car any day.[/citation]
unless it was a gmc/chevy pickup with a duramax... but the duramax was designed by isuzu for GM.

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]rishwin[/nom]So after MILLIONS of cars were recalled, it is somehow breaking news that "at least 15" still have problems?Take the amount of cars fixed by licensed mechanics/dealers each year. How many of those have a relapse of the offending issues?A TINY percentage of cars still having problems after repairs is NOTHING NEW, why is this being made into a big deal?[/citation]

because there has been speculations that toyota still doesn't know where the root cause lies, and this just seems to confirm it. and how long has it been since the recalls? factor that in with how the accelerating issue doesn't happen every day, and u've got a problem.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006

I own a Nissan. Millions of nissans are sold every year. I've never heard of ONE of them having an acceleration issue. So you have car company A who sells cars where .6% will accelerate automatically sending you flying off a cliff or crashing into horrible fireball. Or you have company B who will never do this. Which would you choose?

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]slaphappy[/nom]I own a Nissan. Millions of nissans are sold every year. I've never heard of ONE of them having an acceleration issue. So you have car company A who sells cars where .6% will accelerate automatically sending you flying off a cliff or crashing into horrible fireball. Or you have company B who will never do this. Which would you choose?[/citation]

Whichever is cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.