Toyota: If Your Car Speeds Up, Keep Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
This is payback for Hiroshima.

jk, but I had to type it. Sucks for Toyota, they normally do very well in their quality control.

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Toyota is the king of lean. If you are a Lean Master, you know the safety and test aren't value add =)

But yes it sucks. Especially since many people have died from this issue.

zipzoomflyhigh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
5.9 million vehicles, wow. I predict a loss for Toyota this year. Especially since they have completely stopped selling their 9 best selling vehicles. You cant even go buy one today if you have the money, they are not for sale.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
wow this is going to to hurt Toyota's reputation. Isn't it awkward that these problems mostly orient around the time of economic meltdowns??? Toyota reported loss for the first time in a very long time...

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
didn't occur to them to put that nice little hook on the floor to catch the mats?
For that matter, do they not realize that most people will panic in a situation that causes them to lose control of their vehicle? I highly doubt most people would take to time to think "Now what was it Toyota said to do in such a situation? Oh yeah, I'm supposed to..." that's where they hit the median, tree, wall, other car/truck, or other large and probably difficult-to-move object.
At least they acknowledge there's a problem, unlike Ford and the Focus (maybe others, only noticed it on the Focus before turning away). Sorry, but trunk release is entirely electronically controlled? No key or mechanical release (except the emergency handle INSIDE THE TRUNK)? What were they thinking?
No wonder KIA is picking up steam. They're not getting better (actually, the new Forte and Sorento are damn impressive). Other companies are getting worse!

G

This might be a time where I would be grateful to have a KEY to turn off my engine instead of a button. Buttons are too unpredictable.

amarok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, keep driving alright...
navigate to someones house you don't like and plow your way through.
Blame Toyota's "sticking accelerator" afterwards and remember to sue Toyota for damages ;-) :)

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]This is payback for Hiroshima. jk, but I had to type it. Sucks for Toyota, they normally do very well in their quality control.[/citation]

First of all, Japan should have thought of that before attacking the US unprovoked 68 years ago. (not kidding)

Second, Toyota's quality started going down a while ago. They've been arrogant and complacent with their top dog quality status for far too long and ignored the warning signs of quality. Even these accelerator reports didn't cause them to take action until people started getting KILLED.

Toyota has been running on a reputation built up over decades, and in my opinion, they are finally realizing what it's like to be GM at one time - downhill quality. This is going to hurt Toyota a lot more than people realize.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[quote Toyota] If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.[/quote]
Then turn it on again, go into Safe mode and disable the Accelerator service in the Control Panel.

MrHorspwer

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tikrjee[/nom]At least they acknowledge there's a problem, unlike Ford and the Focus (maybe others, only noticed it on the Focus before turning away). Sorry, but trunk release is entirely electronically controlled? No key or mechanical release (except the emergency handle INSIDE THE TRUNK)? What were they thinking?No wonder KIA is picking up steam. They're not getting better (actually, the new Forte and Sorento are damn impressive). Other companies are getting worse![/citation]

As a note, neither the Kia Forte or Sorento use a key or mechanical lock to open the truck. They are all electric, just like the Focus.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]First of all, Japan should have thought of that before attacking the US unprovoked 68 years ago. (not kidding)[/citation]

Ignorance is bliss i suppose.. The Japanese gave FAIR warning and it was ignored/hidden to give the US a chance to enter the war. If you paid attention in history you'd know they sent a warning of attack before their attack and the US "dropped" the ball if you want to call it that..

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"• If you need to stop immediately, the vehicle can be controlled by stepping on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brake pedal as it will deplete the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist."

okay. First the gas is stuck and therefore the car still going at speed, so by appling the brakes this would heat those brakes very quickly and possiably burn them out before the car comes to a stop if it actually does, remember the gas pedal is stuck so the car is still wanting to go.

"• Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine."

Should this not be considered the first step? In a manual this can be done easily by pushing in the clutch and putting it into neutral. With an automatic I would think it would be more difficult and could cause massive transmission failure that could result in not even being able to get it in neutral.

" If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost."

Once again I think this should be considered first or second in the list. Correct that the power assist will be lost making for braking and steering diffcult but not impossiable. Most cars I have seen have an emergency brake that is manual and not assisted by anything. Hence "emergency brake". Is this not an emergency?

I'm thinking cut the the power to the car by shutting it off, but not locking the wheel, apply emergency brake (even pressure here, just don't yank it up) and bring the car to a stop. Plus since the emergency brake has no power assist to begin with you can pump it (most emergency brakes I have seen are cable operated and as such do not use the brake fluid to apply the brakes) so when, heaven forbid, your in this situation going up down hill, mountains, and/or corners you can pump the emergency brake to help control/navigate the car till it comes to a stop. You bypass the possiablity with applying brakes to car whose gas pedal is stuck and still want to go and burn the brakes out before the car stops and bypass the possiablity of depleting the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]First of all, Japan should have thought of that before attacking the US unprovoked 68 years ago. (not kidding)[/citation]
Go read history books and by that, I don't mean high school history books that essentially feed you American propaganda.

FDR was looking for an excuse to join the war. American air corp. was already fighting in China and the Navy was blockading Japan’s access to oil and rubber in South East Asia. By taking our Japan and Germany FDR insured the 2nd half of the 20th century will be America’s century. FDR was a good president but he is no saint.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
If somebody dies because their accelerator gets stuck they shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

Don't get me wrong Toyota should be held accountable, but seriously learn to drive already.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Sticking gas pedal happened to me once, 4 years ago on my 1988 GMC Sierra. It was cold as hell outside and the throttle body plate got frozen open. A couple of drops of lock de-icer and it was good to go. But I almost had an heart attack, I'm not used to hear such an engine rev so fast! Had it happened in traffic, it would certainly have been dangerous!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerther[/nom]Sticking gas pedal happened to me once, 4 years ago on my 1988 GMC Sierra. It was cold as hell outside and the throttle body plate got frozen open. A couple of drops of lock de-icer and it was good to go. But I almost had an heart attack, I'm not used to hear such an engine rev so fast! Had it happened in traffic, it would certainly have been dangerous![/citation]

My exp. never had a gas pedal sticking, hope I never do, but did have brake failure. Had brakes then 10 minutes later no brakes, thank God for the emergency brake. Like you luckily it was on a country road and not in traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.