Review TP-Link Deco X20 review

Dec 29, 2022
The hardware maybe nice and has a quick, simple and friendly WiFi router setup for network dummies. Very very simple. Great for the world's simplest home networks.

BUT as of the end of 2022 the Deco X20 v4 lacks much access to detailed control of features for specific expert network setups. Most importantly AP mode will not work well with many main firewall routers to simply provide WiFi extension of the local LAN. For example DHCP allows you to blacklist specific MACs but not control ranges or set pseudo-static IPs to MACs. There is no support for VLANs and only a primary SSID and guest SSID are supported. In fact there are about only six simple controls total user controls total.

AP mode problems seem like they stem from implementing AP mode as a quick afterthought to the normal firewall-router boot. The log suggests that the Deco X20 probably tries to turn off unneeded processes following a normal boot in firewall mode. Unfortunately the initial "normal boot" includes attempts to bridge WAN to the ISP and run DHCP on the LAN. Whether it shuts off all non-AP features like DHCP is questionable (IPv6 DHCP server messages in log seem say there is a problem). But regardless the initial boot up as if the Deco X20 is the primary direct internet firewall and router does seem to cause problems for LAN and actual main firewalls... particularly bridging out to the ISP to request a DHCP address and confusing LAN DHCP service.

So having turned off WiFi for my main firewall router and having inserted a 3-node DECO X20 v4 AP mode system -- I am rebooting network infrastructure about every 4-5 days and sometimes in as little as 6 hours.

The big problems is of course that development and bug correction may be over already for this model. Today's product lifecycles for cutting edge tech on the cheap can be very short, especially as economies are crashing. Crossing my fingers while I consider sending it back to Amazon.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022
I suppose TP-Link might have assumed that the DECO X20 was the key network service provider to the LAN due its advertised AI. TP-Link may well have further assumed that if any other device provided the WAN gateway that the separate router strictly did only gateway and firewall and not other services like DNS and DHCP for the LAN.

Thus DHCP services etc would still be provided by the DECO X20 meshnet nodes. Of course trying to bridge out from the main node through a separate qateway would still potential cause ISP WAN malfunctions for most setups. Also most experts would prefer to have the option to control which network infrastructure nodes provided which services and details on how.

None of this, if true, is particularly apparent from marketing materials.