Trade Used Games at Wal-Mart... Machine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notherdude

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]and building 7 fell, which wasnt hit by anything) citation]
Not hit by anything but a collapsing 110 story building you mean?

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Not when someone knocks you on the head on your way out of Wal Mart and swipes your $20 bill. Were you not too much of a luddite to realize the myriad benefits of properly using credit/debit cards, you would still have your $20 and you probably wouldn't even have that bump on your head.[/citation]

Paranoid much? If you are so scared of someone knocking you out and stealing your money then why don't you go ahead and get the chip and be done with it?

I prefer cash instead of anything on a card, debit or credit. Yes Antilycus, US cash is not worth the paper it's printed on right now but at this moment in time it's all we have. No other options are available if you are trying to stay out of the cashless society that's being pushed upon the mentally challenged in this country like joebob2000.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]Ummm...No. Store credit is not real money either. Cash in my hand will always be better than "credit" on a card.[/citation]

Oh, I'm all for having cash also, but I can't get my computer parts from Newegg with that cash. Or anything on the internet. I get lots of things online that aren't available where I live, or if they are would cost an arm and a leg.

You can talk about armageddon and conspiracies and not using the banking system all you want. I live in the real world where there is no armageddon so far and even if it comes that cash won't do me any good. There's a conspiracy theory for everything these days. And it I kinda feel like the risks of using the banking system are far better the major pain in my ass it would be to try and deal not having a bank account. This isn't the '90s anymore, if a person learns how to use their card properly they will usually be fine.

G

If everyone horded cash in personal safes instead of keeping it in the bank, our economy would collapse. Banks use the money in their customers' savings accounts to issue loans. That's why they pay you interest.

As far as legal tender goes, paper money is almost as volatile as credits. The government can still control the usage and value of paper money and track it through serial numbers.

To be completely independent you would need to mint your own gold coins or invest in precious gems. However, your shopping venues would pretty much be limited to pawn shops, trading posts, and other barterers.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]FSXFan[/nom]Oh, I'm all for having cash also, but I can't get my computer parts from Newegg with that cash. Or anything on the internet. I get lots of things online that aren't available where I live, or if they are would cost an arm and a leg.You can talk about armageddon and conspiracies and not using the banking system all you want. I live in the real world where there is no armageddon so far and even if it comes that cash won't do me any good. There's a conspiracy theory for everything these days. And it I kinda feel like the risks of using the banking system are far better the major pain in my ass it would be to try and deal not having a bank account. This isn't the '90s anymore, if a person learns how to use their card properly they will usually be fine.[/citation]

I am not speaking of Armageddon. Can’t remember me ever talking about that. I was speaking of how I would rather cash be handed out instead of depositing money through your debit card or accepting credit on your credit card (which would be nothing more than a monthly payment.) The reason why we are pushed more and more to stop purchasing or working with cash is there is not a viable way of tracking it.

I have a bank account and I do have a debit card associated with it and paypal is tied to that. If something is purchased online such as Newegg it will be done through those means. It is pretty much impossible to pay online without a card other than releasing your account and routing numbers to automatically withdraw from your checking or savings account which is beyond scary.

I believe that we shouldn’t be pushed into accepting a cashless society. It should be our choice to make not the banks and government telling us it’s our choice. If I choose not to use my debit card it’s my choice….I thought. I shouldn’t face mockery or discrimination because of that choice.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]gio2vanni86[/nom]Great idea, but games i buy used or new i never trade in for money etc. I'm a collector type of guy, i love collecting games.[/citation]

Same here. I still have all my (dad's) old Intellivision games. I have all my NES games, my sister should still have all our N64 and PSX games, still have all my GameCube Games, and I don't plan on throwing away the Wii games any time soon.

Unless the buy-back price was close to 50% (yeah right) it just doesn't seem worth it, unless your console is broken or lost and you don't feel like replacing it.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Ok, so what if you have a fake game (aka torrented) with a real or fake box?[/citation]

It'll be traceable back to the owner of the credit card. Wouldn't be a very good idea to do that.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
what about using a reloadable prepaid credit card?
I know I can walk down to my local grocer and buy a $25 visa prepaid.
Would I be able to use that?
If so, it might make trading fakes profitable. >:)
Just buy cases in bulk, and print of the covers and paste labels on the discs. I don't know how it would check the data, so I don't know if fakes would work however.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]what about using a reloadable prepaid credit card?
I know I can walk down to my local grocer and buy a $25 visa prepaid.
Would I be able to use that?[/citation]
Do you know how those work? You have to activate them by calling in and giving them certain information. It would still be traceable if you planned to use it for anything useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.