Transfer data to laptop

Emeris

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015
Due to a motherboard failure, I'm hoping to transfer all hard drive data from a dell Studio 1558 onto another laptop. What would be the sufficient way to fo this? Would a HDD case enclosure be applicable?

On a relevant note, I have specific files (videos and photos) on my desktop that I'd like transfer to a new laptop, whilst also allowing me to view them on the TV. Would an external hard drive be efficient in doing this?

If all else is equal with the laptops, I would assume you could simply swap the HDD to the new one, rather than transferring everything over **assuming you'd be going from laptop X with a faulty motherboard to another laptop X with a functioning motherboard**.

If you were to do that, you could buy a HDD enclosure & put the leftover HDD (in my example above, it'd be from the 'new' laptop) and you'd also have an external HDD which you could plug into a USB on your TV - two birds, one stone!

Can't, as the OS is licensed ONLY to the original Dell PC, and wouldn't "work" on any other system other then the same model / maker. OEM licensing is built in to prevent making a PC with Windows then passing the HDD to someone else to use / pirating (ISO) copies of the image that way onto other systems.

Best bet would be to just remove HDD, get a USB to SATA cable and hook it up externally. While you could plug it into a desktop bay as well, again I would just be lookign to 'scrape off' the data then wipe the drive with DBAN to keep it from confusing BIOS on 'which drive has a OS?" when the computer boots.

Is that the case down to serial number level? Or is it limited to make/model? I assumed licensed to a Dell X123, would work on another Dell X123 (that's what I meant by all else being equal), but didn't know for sure.

Yes your right it would work based on HARDWARE. So for example if you had a Dell X123-US-A2 that is NOT the same thing as a Dell X123-UK-Z12 (different world regions different CPU, Mobo BIOS revision, etc.). So if it is the same exact model (aka Dell sends you a replacement same mobo and CPU) it will work, but if you try and move to a different model / maker it won't because the licensing forbids it.

Emeris

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015

Thank you for the response. The laptop that I hope to transfer the data onto won't be of the same brand/make, if that makes any difference? Furthermore, I'm more likely to temporarily store the data onto an old desktop computer to begin with, and later transfer the files to a new laptop. Laptop is yet to purchase.

Emeris

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015

Thank you for the response. Is the adapter/cable a more preferable option as opposed to a case enclosure? And what would you recommend for the cable, in terms of reputability?
As for viewing files on a television, is my only option an external hard drive?

The adapter/cable should really only be used for the very short-term, as you then have en exposure HDD with no shock protection. The enclosure is the protection as the HDD is secured inside. Personally I've never spent money on the cable, as I'd need an enclosure anyway, i've always just picked up on of those.

An enclosure can be picked up on Amazon for a few quid/bucks in most regions (example) and the same goes for the cable (something like this)
Always do you research to ensure any enclosure &/or cable will work with your HDD. Most will be 2.5".

As far as viewing your files on a TV, your options are limited, but you'll have an external once you've mounted your HDD in an enclosure anyway, so that's the easiest all-round.