Question Transfering files from an iPhone 6S+ to my laptop ?

Mar 18, 2023
I have an old Iphone, an Iphone 6S+ that I'd like to connect to my laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 (USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C) port. Is there a cable I can use with Lightning connector on one end to connect to my Iphone and a Thunderbolt connector on the other end to connect to my laptop? I know each device has its own limitations and though i don't want to harm my old phone I do have a ton of photos and videos on it that i don't want to lose.

Another option I wanted to ask about is this: could I connecty Iphone with a cord with a lighting connector and a USB connector on the other end to a hub that connects to my laptop with a Thunderbolt connector?

Any help, or cord and hub suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rom3o

Great
Apr 9, 2023
You can easily transfer files from your iPhone 6S+ to a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 (USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C) port. To do so, you'll need either a certified cable with a Lightning connector on one end and a Thunderbolt connector on the other, or a hub that connects to your laptop with a Thunderbolt connector and has a USB port for your iPhone--use a cord that has a Lightning connector at one end and USB at the other.

akai331

Estimable
Jan 4, 2019
Unfortunately, there is no direct cable available with a Lightning connector on one end and a Thunderbolt connector on the other end. Lightning and Thunderbolt are different standards, and they are not directly compatible with each other.

However, you can use an adapter or a combination of cables to connect your iPhone 6S+ to your laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port. Here are a couple of options:

1. Lightning to USB-C Cable: You can use a Lightning to USB-C cable, which has a Lightning connector on one end and a USB-C connector on the other end. This allows you to directly connect your iPhone to the Thunderbolt 3 port on your laptop.
  2. Lightning to USB-A Cable + USB-A to USB-C Adapter: If you have a Lightning to USB-A cable (the standard USB connector), you can use a USB-A to USB-C adapter. This adapter converts the USB-A end of your cable to a USB-C connector, allowing you to connect your iPhone to the Thunderbolt 3 port on your laptop.
Regarding the second option you mentioned, connecting your iPhone to a hub that connects to your laptop with a Thunderbolt connector, it's important to note that Thunderbolt hubs usually support data transfer and video output functionalities, but they may not support direct iPhone connectivity. It is recommended to check the hub's specifications and compatibility with iOS devices before making a purchase.

When connecting your iPhone to any device or adapter, it's unlikely to harm your phone or data, as long as you use genuine cables and adapters. However, it's always a good practice to have a backup of your photos and videos before making any connections or transferring data, just to ensure their safety.

Please make sure to double-check the compatibility and specifications of any cables, adapters, or hubs you intend to purchase to ensure they meet your specific requirements and are compatible with your devices.