Traveling and e-mailing pics to myself

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
598
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I'm considering purchase of a digital camera to travel with through
countries in Europe (among other things).

My desire will be to stop in at Internet cafes, plug the camera in via
USB and e-mail the pics to myself.

Is this do-able? What OS do the computers need to see the camera as a
disk drive without installing any additional drivers on them?

Will any of the following cameras do this:

Sony - DSC S90; S60; S40 -

Cannon SD200 A520;

Kodak DX7630, DX7440, CX7530, CD7430;

Nikon 5600, 4600;

Olympus D-595, D-545

thanx,

Steve
Eugene, OR
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi Steve,

If the computer is running XP, then you should be able to plug in and
it should automatically detect it as a mass storage device. If you
want to be extra safe, maybe bring along a small USB card reader,
although in my experience, a straight cable connection from the camera
does the trick.

You probably don't want to email files back, there usually is a size
limit for the messages and it varies from provider to provider
(anywhere from 1 meg to 10 megs per message).

I would suggest getting some online storage space (e.g. box.net - there
are others, look around) and upload into the account.

There are other alternatives too - getting a portable hard disk device,
or burning photos to CD if the internet cafe PC has a burner drive.

Jules
http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest digital photography forums
on the net!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Find computer stores and have them burn CDs for you. It will take too
long to email pics. You can easily exceed your email storage limit even
if broken into small segments.


sTeve wrote:

> I'm considering purchase of a digital camera to travel with through
> countries in Europe (among other things).
>
> My desire will be to stop in at Internet cafes, plug the camera in via
> USB and e-mail the pics to myself.
>
> Is this do-able? What OS do the computers need to see the camera as a
> disk drive without installing any additional drivers on them?
>
> Will any of the following cameras do this:
>
> Sony - DSC S90; S60; S40 -
>
> Cannon SD200 A520;
>
> Kodak DX7630, DX7440, CX7530, CD7430;
>
> Nikon 5600, 4600;
>
> Olympus D-595, D-545
>
> thanx,
>
> Steve
> Eugene, OR

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
san francisco native plants
 

Clutch

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
170
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

sTeve <sshapiro58@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm considering purchase of a digital camera to travel with through
>countries in Europe (among other things).
>
>My desire will be to stop in at Internet cafes, plug the camera in via
>USB and e-mail the pics to myself.

Do you have a dedicated mailserver at home? Most ISP's only give 10
to 40 MB of mail storage. Are you assuming that your home computer is
going to stay up on a broadband connection and be able to retrieve
your sendings to deal with this limitation.

What is maximum single email size your ISP will accept. Some set
limits.
>
>Is this do-able? What OS do the computers need to see the camera as a
>disk drive without installing any additional drivers on them?

W2k and XP for many cameras.
>
>Will any of the following cameras do this:
>
>Sony - DSC S90; S60; S40 -

Likely so.
>
>Cannon SD200 A520;
>
>Kodak DX7630, DX7440, CX7530, CD7430;
>
>Nikon 5600, 4600;
>
>Olympus D-595, D-545

No idea.
>
>thanx,
>
>Steve
>Eugene, OR

Some ideas to consider.

1. Bring cds to burn to and do so. Got to belive a internet cafe has
cd/dvd burners.

2. On your home computer set up a ftp server so you can ftp the files
to your computer. Needs always on connection with decent bandwidth
and the hope that your system stays up. I personally like that one.

3. Lots of gmail accounts? 1 or 2 Gb storage.

4. If you have juice with an employer with decent networking resources
maybe they can set up a ftp account for you. When you get back to
work, copy to cd's or dvd's.


Wes
--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Lycos address is a spam trap.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

clutch@lycos.com wrote:
> sTeve <sshapiro58@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm considering purchase of a digital camera to travel with through
>> countries in Europe (among other things).
>>

<snip-o-rama>

> Some ideas to consider.
>
> 1. Bring cds to burn to and do so. Got to belive a internet cafe
> has
> cd/dvd burners.

I've always liked that one: burn two copies and mail one home, carry
the other.

>
> 2. On your home computer set up a ftp server so you can ftp the
> files
> to your computer. Needs always on connection with decent bandwidth
> and the hope that your system stays up. I personally like that one.
>
> 3. Lots of gmail accounts? 1 or 2 Gb storage.
>
> 4. If you have juice with an employer with decent networking
> resources
> maybe they can set up a ftp account for you. When you get back to
> work, copy to cd's or dvd's.
>
>

Not mentioned to this point: portable storage devices. Someone (Alan?)
mentioned the Archos line, up to 40 GB HD storage plus an MP3 player
in a small, package with CF and adapted card inputs, video etc.
outputs. It looks as if you must carry the AC-adapter/charger cord,
too, but it might be a decent alternative to a stack of CD-ROMS or a
potentially tenuous Internet connection.

--
Frank ess
 

Rich

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
325
0
18,930
0
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"sTeve" <sshapiro58@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fsli81tbh8vnjr3ms94smmvfkuk97ictfd@4ax.com...
> I'm considering purchase of a digital camera to travel with through
> countries in Europe (among other things).
>
> My desire will be to stop in at Internet cafes, plug the camera in via
> USB and e-mail the pics to myself.
>
> Is this do-able? What OS do the computers need to see the camera as a
> disk drive without installing any additional drivers on them?
>
> Will any of the following cameras do this:
>
> Sony - DSC S90; S60; S40 -
>
> Cannon SD200 A520;
>
> Kodak DX7630, DX7440, CX7530, CD7430;
>
> Nikon 5600, 4600;
>
> Olympus D-595, D-545
>
> thanx,
>
> Steve
> Eugene, OR

On a recent visit to Tenerife (Feb. this year), the apartments that we
stayed in, the computer that they had to access the internet had a card
reader that could read all the common cards. This computer also had a link
to a company that would let you upload the photos free* of charge.

Other options were most rent a car place, or at least the ones I saw, had a
Kodak photo station which would take most memory cards and give you the
option to print/burn to CD you photos.

As stated this is for Tenerife, an island that is part of Spain, it has been
a while since I have been to mainland Europe so things may be slightly
different!

Richard

*Space limited, you could buy more
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Digital Cameras 3
M Digital Cameras 2
G Digital Cameras 0
C Digital Cameras 12
G Digital Cameras 0
C Digital Cameras 2
G Digital Cameras 0
F Digital Cameras 3
A Digital Cameras 3
D Digital Cameras 1
X Digital Cameras 4
F Digital Cameras 5
I Digital Cameras 1
D Digital Cameras 1
J Digital Cameras 2
G Digital Cameras 3
G Digital Cameras 3
G Digital Cameras 26
G Digital Cameras 2
A Digital Cameras 66

ASK THE COMMUNITY