Triple Monitor PC Plus Xbox One Sound Setup?

Greenfire32

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
So I'm upgrading my PC rig from a single 32" TV to a triple 21.5" monitor gaming/mutlitasking setup. I'll be upgrading my Geforce 570 to a Geforce 980 to accommodate.

My current issue is that the monitors I've got do not have the red/white audio outs which makes it impossible for my Logitech X-530, Turtlebeach Earforce X31 and my Xbox One to have sound...

I MIGHT have found a solution to this problem, but I need some input from all you audiophiles out there!

Will this receiver solve all my problems:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA08C...

My current thinking is that I'll connect the PC to all three monitors via Display Port-to-DVI cables while running one HDMI cable from the PC to the receiver, then I'll run one HDMI cable from the Xbox One to the receiver and run one HDMI cable from the receiver's HDMI out to one of the monitors (so that the Xbox One has a monitor to use when I'm not on the PC). I'll then hook the Logitech X530 into the receiver's AV red/white outputs and piggyback my headset into them (I have a special adapter that allows you to plug 2 red/whites into another pair of red/whites that I'm using currently).

Am I correct in thinking this will work? I am open to cheaper options (and would prefer it actually), but this is the only receiver I have found so far that has ALL the in/outputs I need.

Solution
Hello,

The link you posted points me to Newegg's frontpage www.newegg.com.

Now regarding the setup you have planned, you don't want to make things complicated. I suggest you stick to HDMI only. I think that you can use an HDMI switch to switch from PC to Xbox whenever necessary, I have not tested this setup but it works in my head...

Hopefully you can follow this in text form:

Graphics card HDMI -> Receiver INPUT

Graphics card (display port available) to second and third monitor (first being your middle one).

Xbox One HDMI -> Receiver INPUT

Receiver OUTPUT -> HDMI 2x1 Switch -> To 2 HDMI out, 1 goes into the HDMI of the first monitor (Xbox), the 2nd is a HDMI to DVI to HDMI adapter (PC) to the first...
Hello,

The link you posted points me to Newegg's frontpage www.newegg.com.

Now regarding the setup you have planned, you don't want to make things complicated. I suggest you stick to HDMI only. I think that you can use an HDMI switch to switch from PC to Xbox whenever necessary, I have not tested this setup but it works in my head...

Hopefully you can follow this in text form:

Graphics card HDMI -> Receiver INPUT

Graphics card (display port available) to second and third monitor (first being your middle one).

Xbox One HDMI -> Receiver INPUT

Receiver OUTPUT -> HDMI 2x1 Switch -> To 2 HDMI out, 1 goes into the HDMI of the first monitor (Xbox), the 2nd is a HDMI to DVI to HDMI adapter (PC) to the first monitor as well

I have personally tested the surround set you have, and I know it comes with an adapter for red & white RCA as you described, which should work just fine with the receiver.

And just use the receivers audio ports for your speaker and headset. I'm assuming you would have to go in and check your audio settings in Windows desktop to enable 5.1. In my head this works solving single Xbox display, to triple PC display. Hopefully someone smarter than me can verify it'll actually work if you try it. ;-)

All the best!

Solution

Greenfire32

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015