Trojan Targeting Skype, VoIP Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
China's government maybe after all they said they already cracked skype so you know it doesn't harm their citizens with slanderous info coming from those calls.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Wow thats a shitload of MP3s, who is going to listen to all that i miss you and love you talk from WoW addicted gamers who are talking to their girlfriends online that they ahve never met?!!! (My old roomate)

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]kaiser_25[/nom]Wow thats a shitload of MP3s, who is going to listen to all that i miss you and love you talk from WoW addicted gamers who are talking to their girlfriends online that they ahve never met?!!! (My old roomate)[/citation]
Dunno... an algorithm with voice-to-text that looks for certain key phrases, like a series of numbers that start with credit card digits. The algorithm might also be programmed to recognize touch tones and process those pieces of information into data.

However, if it is a government agency (as some suggested), then they already have these systems in place - with key words triggering the conversation for human review. So, in that case, someone making close to minimum wage in a government job will probably be the one to listen in on your conversations. :)

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Easily mitigated with SRTP on VOIP... if anything hopefully this will encourage people to employ SRTP (encrypts audio stream) and TLS (encrypts signaling stream) on VOIP systems. There are so many unsecure VoIP systems out there. What is brutally painful is SIP compatability problems between vendors, so many ITSPs aren't even using MD5 registration for authentication, they are filtering calls by originating IPs, which means the signaling stream is sent in plain text.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ya i was Navy and worked with a lot of TS stuff, and ya keywords like 'bomb' 'terror' 'allah' etc are flagged BUT on specific lines, the entire freikin internet?! The manpower needed to sift through that crap...near impossible. And the funding to do such a thing (insane)...we would have to outsource the work to India. But as for credit card numbers...cmon who talks about that crap on skype?!

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Easily mitigated with SRTP on VOIP... if anything hopefully this will encourage people to employ SRTP (encrypts audio stream) and TLS (encrypts signaling stream) on VOIP systems. There are so many unsecure VoIP systems out there. What is brutally painful is SIP compatability problems between vendors, so many ITSPs aren't even using MD5 registration for authentication, they are filtering calls by originating IPs, which means the signaling stream is sent in plain text.[/citation]

Uh, what? it happens while still in analog form during interaction with humans. You can't encrypt that part >.>

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
What is the purpose of this sort of Trojan?

How about this:

Massive Gov't PC farm (SKYNET), millions of PC's (maybe even all online home PC's with part of their resources hijacked by implanted software or hardware), scanning the net, bank accounts, VOIP, cell phones, etc.

Most people don't raise any program flags at first. Until you do something that raises the system monitor on you like:

1) Walk into a gun show (we had the FBI taking photo's of license plates at gun shows in Milwaukee a few months ago) or gun store. Level 1 monitor - your name on an e-list.

2) Veterans or anyone who actually buys a gun. Level 2 monitor - your name on an e-list, SKYNET flag to watch phone/Internet for words or phrases.

3) Derisive commentary made on phone or Internet by Level 2 agent - Level 3 monitor - all contacts listed and flag level listing collected and updated to make contacts as Level 3. Human monitoring initiated.

4) Meetings and group conversations of Level 3 group noted by observers. Level 4 monitor. Physical monitoring (camera's and sound recording placed inside or around homes and work of group to catch personal conversations and collect all evidence of ANY kind of antigov't, antisocial, or illegal activity. Vehicular surveillance and all movement tracked. Prosecution records initiated for "Legal" action. National security activity initiated.

Need I go any further?

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I like how many government conspiracies bloom from a report like this. It's strange that a lot of people are more afraid of their own government than they are of airline hijackers, suicide bombers, or home invasion. I guess you're just not cool unless you hate your own government. Oh how weak and pathetic we have become.

Here's a thought to those who are whining: Love it or leave it.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Funny, but a whole lot of people said the same thing in 1775.

When you when you have spent as much time as some of us have in the military (10 years as a weapon's tech in the Navy in my case - so I figure I HAVE EARNED THE RIGHT TO COMPLAIN, SO STFU!!!), and you realize how far our government has come in the wrong direction away from its original ideals: like responsibility, self-sufficiency, and that whole Bill of Rights thingy. Just read the Preamble if you need inspiration.

Those of us who sacrificed years, our health, and in some cases our lives did so to honor that ideal and do our part to keep it alive and are furious at what is being done by a bunch of lazy, rich, over-educated, moral pygmy, whiners who got rich by publicly hating the hands that allowed them to do so (tenured college professors - like our Organizer-in-Chief) or by being born to the silver spoon as a inbred descendant of pirates, slavers, and thieves like the last couple of idiots that infested the office.

We won't even talk about the nest of TRAITORS THAT INFESTS THE HALLS OF CONGRESS!!

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
False_Dmitry_II is right... this audio hijacking occurs before skype even has a chance to encapsulate the data for transport... encryption of the VoIP packets will do nothing to prevent this... so the SRTP proponents got it wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS