Trouble viewing MAC-originated photos in Windows 7

A87

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere on this forum already; I searched for a while but am still at a loss. I'ved "lurked" these forums for a while and even built a computer based on articles here, but this particular issue has me downright stumped.

My wife and I have received a DVD containing photos of our wedding reception, and they originated from the photographer's MAC computer. I can view the file names in the folder and copy them on my Windows 7 PC, which recognizes them as JPEG images with the .jpg extension. I can see the folder full of thumbnails with the generic thumbnail icon (not mini-pictures; except curiously, one file does actually have a mini-picture thumbnail). Windows Photo Viewer gives the message, "Can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large." I've also installed and tried IrfanView which gives the message, "Can't read file header! Unknown file format or file not found! (for unicode file names please activate the Unicode Plugin in 'Properties -> Languages')." Each of the 200+ pictures is very large, from 8 to 16 MB in size. I have also tried FastStone Photo Resizer which can only change them down to tiny 1kb squares.

I find the whole issue perplexing, as I understand JPEGs should be universally readable; and the files definitely have recognizable extensions and all visible properties seem to be in order. If anyone knows what may be the issue, please let me know how I can view them!

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Alex

Solution
You need to go back to the photographer and explain that he is not providing good JPEGs. It could be his software; Photoshop has a quirk that if you save a JPEG directly (Save as. . .) it is not usable by all software, but if you "Save for Web" they work perfectly!

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
You need to go back to the photographer and explain that he is not providing good JPEGs. It could be his software; Photoshop has a quirk that if you save a JPEG directly (Save as. . .) it is not usable by all software, but if you "Save for Web" they work perfectly!

Solution