Troubleshooting toshiba satellite laptop x200

G

Hello
I have this toshiba satellite laptop x200. Just before Christmas I started it up and all I got was a long beep followed by two shorter beeps. The fan runs, the lights come on but the screen is blank, nothing. I sent it in for repairs ans was told that the chip on the graphics card is faulty. The chip was replaced. I got it back and started it up. Nice, it worked, until I shut it down. The next time I tried to start it up, the same set of beeps occured. I returned it to the repairer, and he had the chip replaced. I brought it home, plugt it in, booted it up and it worked, until I shut it down again. Now I can't start it up again. The repairer said to unplag the battery and start up using mains only, but that didn't work.
Has the chip being fried due to the overheating of these laptops (Common problem according to all the things I've read on the net) or what. Must I replace the complete graphics card?? or is it even worth repairing?? This laptop is only 19 months old and running Vista, could that be it.
Please help
Thanks

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately Your Laptop does include an 8600M GPU.
Nvidia has major issues with their 8600M and 8400M chips that cause them to overheat and fail.
There is no real solution to this issue and, as far as I know, all chips from these families are affected.

I can say that Vista is defiantly not your issue and being only 19 months old it should still be working fine.
As you have already had the GPU replaced twice and it is still not working, I would be leaning more towards getting a new laptop.
Perhaps you could get a full or partial refund for the failed repairs and put that cash towards a newer laptop.