Trying to connect LG soundbar with optical input to RCA TV with coaxial output

hayleealyssa

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I recently purchased an LG soundbar (this one) only to find that our TV (this one) doesn't have the right output (optical). We read on this forum that we could get a coaxial to optical converter and that's exactly what we did (we bought this one). However, we still can't get the soundbar to put out any sound. It doesn't even seem to detect that there is something plugged into the optical input because it just shuts off after a few seconds. The converter is definitely on because there's a red light coming from the optical input. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Thank you in advance.

hayleealyssa

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I'm realizing now that it could be that I need to press S. MODE on the remote. Unfortunately the remote was lost a few years ago after being in storage. I'm thinking of ordering a replacement remote in hopes that it will fix the problem.

hayleealyssa

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
The only choices in Sound settings are the mode (movie/music/sports/user), the bass/treble/balance adjustments, and then Digital Audio Output (where you can choose RAW/PCM/off - we have tried it on both RAW and PCM), Surround Sound (on/off), and AVL (on/off). Could it be that I need to get the remote to choose S. MODE or will that just cycle through movie/music/sports/user?

hayleealyssa

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Which adapter?

Also, the "portable" input seems to be aux input. My TV does have a headphone jack in the back. I'm assuming I could connect with an aux cable, but that wouldn't be good quality sound, would it?

Sep 18, 2018

Did you ever get your soundbar to work? I am having the same issue. Thanks