trying to do a bios upgrade the program says it cant be done on battery but I am plugged into the mains

percypig

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
hp presario cq61312sa needs a bios update, I downloaded the program from hp, but the laptop does not recognise that its plugged into the mains

jeff-j

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
What OS is the laptop running, will the laptop run on the battery, after the laptop runs on the batter for about 20 minutes and you plug it back into the ac adapter, does it show as charging in the lower right hand corner by the clock. I had this problem with a Dell laptop and it turned out the AC adapter was not putting out the correct power. It was putting out enough to run the laptop but not run the laptop and charge the batter. There might be a place in the BIOS to see the AC adapter status.

percypig

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
The laptop is running windows 7 home premium it will run on the battery, but when the AC adapter is plugged in, there is just the battery showing in the right hand corner.(my dell laptop has a battery and a little plug showing when its charging) I couldn't find anything in the bios concerning the AC adapter.
This really is a pain because the keyboard does not work and when I contacted hp they suggested the bios update would fix this issue, but of course I cant do it, I also cant connect to the internet with the laptop as I cant type in my password for the wifi, its doing my head in. Thank you for trying to help I really appreciate it.

percypig

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
The battery charges fine, its just the AC adapter is not recognized on the laptop, well not by the bios program, but in device manager its there, very strange.

percypig

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
I have just solved the problem, for some reason when I disabled the AC adapter in device manager it showed the battery charging which enabled me to do the bios update, I now have a working keyboard and every thing is fine. I would like to thank everyone who tried to help with this problem I really did appreciate it. Once again thank you very much.