Trying to format my ASUS X55VD using recovery partition, not being successful

lRaiden

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Hello, as the title suggests, I'm trying to factory reset my laptop, but I'm not having much success.

Laptop brand and model: ASUS X55VD

Problem description: In order to access the recovery partition on this ASUS laptop, I'm supposed to hit the F9 key once the logo appears on boot. Done that, a few text appears so I can choose if I want to boot through the Recovery partition or Win7, thing is: I can only boot from Win7, the recovery partition doesn't appear at all.

I'm sure I have a recover partition, here's the proof:
Cm36Aa2.png
(Sorry, it's in portuguese :/ but the recovery partition is highlighted in blue)

In the past my laptop came with 2 partitions, C: and D:, but I got a virus and paid a technician to format my laptop (had no idea how to do so back then lol), needless to say, he merged both partitions into one, I think that may be the cause of the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. I have also tried to format my computer using the control panel, but it pops-up an error message saying it failed to reboot to continue the formating process, or something.

I don't really feel like burning a few discs in order to format my computer, hence why I'm asking this :)

Thanks in advance,
Raiden

Solution
Thank you everyone for your answers, but unfortunately none of them worked. I even tried to update to windows 10 but to no avail, I was getting some error during the installation procedure.

I've decided to burn my recovery image to a few DVD's, it was a waste of time, some files were corrupted. So, after doing the recovery procedure, I couldn't boot anymore due to corrupted files. I then decided to download Windows 7 iso and burn it into my USB and install it clean... It took quite a while, and I've reinstalled all the drivers already.

I mainly wanted to format through the recovery partition so I didn't need to install any drivers, but this clean windows reinstall was much better since I also got rid of stupid ASUS bloatware.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
Formatting a drive can remove everything-even recovery partitions. I would guess that your recovery partition no longer has the necessary files to reset your computer back to its stock configuration.
Whether or not that is true, you are going about this the wrong way. Any sort of recovery program will have a way to format/erase the target disk before you install. By doing this within the recovery, you can ensure that you don't erase the recovery itself.

At this point, I would recommend upgrading to Windows 10. You can download a USB installer directly from microsoft and you can activate it just by using your windows 7 key. When you install, you can wipe your hard drive and have a fresh start.

lRaiden

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

The size is 25GB and there's around 17GB being used, used EaseUS Partition Master to check it out.
awqwDvK.png

The files inside:
wqpYHt8.png

I'd like to use the partition to format my PC, don't really want to upgrade to Win10 as I dislike the interface

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
Well, you do have the recovery partition then. You just need to find a way to boot from it.
What exactly are the options listed when you attempt to boot into the recovery?
You might also try hitting F8 and selecting "repair" or whatever is like that.

lRaiden

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016

The options listed are: Windows 7 and Windows Memory Diagnostic

I've tried that, but the repair option is not there, also tried to open my bios and check the boot tab to see if there was anything useful there, but nothing..

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
again

go to control panel,
open administration,
open computer management
go to storage,
go to disk management.
left click on the recovery partition and assign it the letter D: and mark partition as active

then try rebooting and hitting f9

lRaiden

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Thank you everyone for your answers, but unfortunately none of them worked. I even tried to update to windows 10 but to no avail, I was getting some error during the installation procedure.

I've decided to burn my recovery image to a few DVD's, it was a waste of time, some files were corrupted. So, after doing the recovery procedure, I couldn't boot anymore due to corrupted files. I then decided to download Windows 7 iso and burn it into my USB and install it clean... It took quite a while, and I've reinstalled all the drivers already.

I mainly wanted to format through the recovery partition so I didn't need to install any drivers, but this clean windows reinstall was much better since I also got rid of stupid ASUS bloatware.

Solution