TV Digital Coaxial Audio In or Out?

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I have an ASUS O!PLAY HD2 media player that I have connected via HDMI to my TV. Problem is the TV itself doesn't support surround sound 5.1 which is the configuration of speakers I currently have. The feed is currently Full HD 1080p which both the media player and the TV supports.

My questions are:
1.) Will my audio play if I have a digital audio(coaxial) (orange female port) and an hdmi connected and if so will they play at the same time / the same audio of the video playing through the tv?
Essentially what I'm asking is will there be audio playback to the surround sound amp if I have it connected via the orange digital coaxial cable set to source HDMI, or AV or which source I intended on viewing from the TV?
(So essentially I intend on connecting the media box's digital audio out to the TV's digital audio port)

2.) Is the digital audio out on the back of my TV an IN or OUT port?

I know I never mentioned the TV that's because it's a local brand that has no information about it on the internet

Solution
I'm assuming you have some external 5.1 speaker setup and a receiver that is a physically separate device. So you have HDMI coming out of the media player carrying both video and audio and you want the video to play on the TV but the audio to go through the receiver.

If so, there should be two ways of doing this. One is you could have the digital coaxial cable connected to the Asus device and run to the receiver. You may need to configure it to send the audio over that (possibly called SPDIF), and setup the receiver to use that digital coax connection as its source. I see the Asus device also has optical/TOSLINK, so you could also use that if your receiver has a free optical port.

The other way is to connect the digital coax cable...

joex444

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I'm assuming you have some external 5.1 speaker setup and a receiver that is a physically separate device. So you have HDMI coming out of the media player carrying both video and audio and you want the video to play on the TV but the audio to go through the receiver.

If so, there should be two ways of doing this. One is you could have the digital coaxial cable connected to the Asus device and run to the receiver. You may need to configure it to send the audio over that (possibly called SPDIF), and setup the receiver to use that digital coax connection as its source. I see the Asus device also has optical/TOSLINK, so you could also use that if your receiver has a free optical port.

The other way is to connect the digital coax cable to the TV (I've never seen a TV where this is an IN port - I've only seen it as an OUT port since TVs can pick up over-the-air with 5.1 audio but they have 2.0 speakers so this lets you use the TV to watch over-the-air broadcasts and listen to it in 5.1 surround). You may need to figure out how to pipe the audio out of the TV and, as before, you'll need to setup the receiver to use that digital coax connection for its audio source.

It's possible that if you go with the first one you'll want to mute the TV if the audio is sent to both the digital coax and HDMI, though I'd expect the Asus device is setup to send audio to only one and you need to switch it since this is the way that sound cards work in PCs. If you were asking about them being out of sync, that shouldn't happen.

Solution

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Thank you for your speedy response exactly what I was looking for