TV & Monitor together

brezler1

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015
What do I need to be able to use a TV for my computer monitor and have a small TV picture displayed simultaneously? I have an old Dell 17" which allows me to use the full screen for compute work while also displaying a small TV picture. I can also use the entire monitor for TV if I wish. I am looking for a replacement in the 24-32" size..

Appreciate any guidance

brezler1

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015
TechyinAZ, thanks for the qkuick getback. My concern is that I wish to be able to use the monitor with my computer while, simultaneously seeing a small TV picture on the screen with my computer data. It is this ability to do both at the same time that I am questioning...

Ah I see what your saying now. That is a software issue not a hardware issue. If you have software that allows you to see cable TV, then you can organize all your windows to the way you want them. But if you want a monitor with a TV tuner, then nope.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

It sounds like you know it is possible with your small monitor but haven't used it that way much. Windows Media Center is not that compatible with current computer graphics standards. It will work minimized, but problems occur with the tuner such as when moving the window while it is actively displaying a video. If caution is taken it works but I prefer a separate TV maximized where the computer is still functional on demand.
The major concern with resolution I see is with Office apps since I usually use Calibri font at size 9 and even 8. I think LG TVs are probably comparable to Samsung monitors set to use Movie mode. Great greens and yellows but deficient elsewhere. 32" monitors are a little large to use for computer work due to proximity (field of view is limited). 26-27" monitors may have native 1080p resolution so they don't provide much advantage except for font consideration.