TV Networks Block Google TV from Web Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

devorakman112

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
why would they do that? to keep people from progressing to new tech? if you can watch it on a regular PC, and regular tv, why not an internet capable tv? i dont get it.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
These are the throws of an industry that sees the end. Just like the Fox network ordeal with Cablevision. They are trying to save their industry, but are actually going to speed up the transition to ala carte programming. If they keep going down this path they will meet the same end as the music industry.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
We'll see for how long, and if they don't agree on anything, someone else will make it happen through a crack, a hack, or wherever creativity takes them. Is not like restrictions are 100% secure.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I can't blame the networks for trying to survive; however, I can't wait for Gtv (or similar product) to become mainstream.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Who watches network TV anymore, other than for sports....if they died tomorrow I don't think I would even notice, guess I am just ahead of the curve.

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]Who watches network TV anymore, other than for sports....if they died tomorrow I don't think I would even notice, guess I am just ahead of the curve.[/citation]

I am in full agreement with you, I haven't seriously watched broadcast network tv in almost 8 years.

It is mindless drivel, and has nothing for me, but the same old tired formulas that are exactly what is going to end up killing them off.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
google is acting so calmly about the subject because the move is no way near from stoping gtv from progressing, i also think that google can force some sense into them. lol "negotiate" is the politically correct term.

G

Toms, you have to come to grips with the spam being posted here on your sites.

It is ruining a great experience...

G

seems to me that google made this a problem by picking a unique user agent for google tv. simply changing the user agent to pretend to be, say, internet explorer on windows, would solve this right away and would be incredibly trivial to do.

bpislife

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Apple is paying big bucks to offer the same shows for a fee. Google was trying to get it for free. Now it looks like the networks have gone money hungry. Lame.

G

And the Cable companies say they can not offer ala carte because of technical and bandwidth issues which is BS. We have Bright House Networks in Orlando Florida and right now they are switching channel lineups so we have 2-3 sets of the same channels, thats right and they are also using an IP system that detects which show you want, then retrieves the show in real time, just like your PC and the internet. This is already in place for all channels. So bringing ala carte and paying for only the channels you want to watch would be no problem, EXCEPT these cable companies do not want to part from the money they will lose by offering you USELESS bundles of channels you never watch. We pay $135 for internet and cable and watch 10 channels of a package of about 150 channels (lowest package offered). 10 CHANNELS !!!!

G

I don't get what these broadcast networks gain from this move? It seems like allowing their shows to be available via GTV would just increase their audience base (i.e. there's no difference between watching their shows on your laptop or GTV - its basically watching over the Internet).

They would still make the advertising revenue from all those insidious embedded commercials from every episode viewed. I mean, if its about the money, who's currently paying them for watching their episodes over the Internet from say, a laptop or desktop computer? Whats the difference?

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
The big 3 major networks and Fox have always been that way about their programming. They think nothing of blocking their shows from a cable or sat. company if they aren't being paid royalties by them.. Of course the Irony to this is, that you can opt out of the local channels on most sat. tv packs, and even some cable tv packs, and if you've got the motivation to go out and do it, you can go to wally world or another place and buy a simple outdoor Antenna and still get them Over the air for regular digital and QAM HD local channels.

The problem with this whole thing is, from what I can see, is Google tv requires you to have a broadband connection. Which implies that you already have either digital cable + internet. Or, Satellite TV + DSL through one of the major phone companies..... Which means they're already getting royalties through one of those sources for you to watch their channels.... Which means they're double dipping.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
i don't think this is very legal. They are blocking access to their websites to a specific piece of hardware and/or browser. What's to stop the networks from blocking access to Firefox users if they sign a deal with Microsoft for IE? What's to stop them from blocking access to HP computers if they sign a promo deal with Dell or Apple? This sets a bad precedent and is entirely anti-Net Neutrality. I would expect an FCC investigation soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.