TV Networks Not Keen on Apple's $0.99 Rentals

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakmove

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
So paying 99c an episode that you keep for 2 weeks, (and if you really want to watch it again, will cost you another 99c) is better than charging a one time fee of 1.99?

If people are going to watch it only once, wouldn't they DVR the first time it's on, and I don't know, save it from being deleted? Also, hulu is a free service that people can watch anytime, yeah, you have to sit through commercials, but they only last 15 seconds (from what i remember) and happen every 15 min.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Why pay for something you can get for free anyways, talking about major network broadcasts that are received over the air. I would think more people would be inclined to renting shows being 99 cents over buying, costing twice the price or more.

I guess some of the major conglomerates aren't ready for change because it may possibly find less money lining their pockets.

G

I have not seen anything on these shows by the networks that warrant all these gadgets and devices. Who in there right minds would want to spend $0.99 or any amount attempting to keep track of content that is mindless, boring and highlights actors who should have choosen another vocation?

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
TV Box sets have always been horrendously overpriced... To use that as a basis for the kind of profits they should be making is just insane. If they cut those box sets to be about 1/4th their price they would probably sell 10 times more of them. I like this attitude and it's a shame Apple and other companies don't see the benefit of pricing things like this.

The gaming companies could learn something from this too.....

kezix_69

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I meant to say "it's a shame Apple and other companies don't see the benefit of pricing things like this more often."

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Yeah because I totally want to pay dozens of dollars each month, for channels I don't want, pay for the advertisements in the show that they already got paid for, and then pay them some more for a DVR that fast forwards through the commercials that they already got paid for that you are paying for that you don't watch. Great idea, it's worked so far - why change it? /sarcasm

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Aren't we talking about TV shows that you can normally watch on the net for FREE?[/citation]

Not really free, if you are the person think time is money...
These streaming TV shows are Ad free (if Apple does not put its own iAd in there).

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jakmove[/nom]If people are going to watch it only once, wouldn't they DVR the first time it's on, and I don't know, save it from being deleted? Also, hulu is a free service that people can watch anytime, yeah, you have to sit through commercials, but they only last 15 seconds (from what i remember) and happen every 15 min.[/citation]

Unfortunately not everything is online or on hulu for free. And if you don't have TV (or a DVR), that's not an option.

G

so reducing the price means they can sell more stuff. maybe if they reduced the price of an apple mac they would sell more of them too.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]robfisheruk[/nom]so reducing the price means they can sell more stuff. maybe if they reduced the price of an apple mac they would sell more of them too.[/citation]
Good point. Apple says it can't make a computer for under $1000 that isn't a piece of crap (while lots of companies can), but then it says TV producers are just being greedy and stupid when they don't see the value in renting a TV show for $0.99?

iTunes is like the new WalMart. You either sell your product in their store at their price, or they will drive your whole damn company out of business. Personally, I try to avoid WalMart, and I successfully avoid iTunes, if only others showed the same restraint.

G

@hellwig: Maybe you should get your mom to teach you some economics in between tricks. There's a bit of a difference between a computer (which costs $$$ per additional sale) and a media file (which costs basically zero per additional sale).

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
@above failtrol.l. lrn 2 comprehension.

This article is halarious. The networks are whining about this when I can rent an entire season off netflix for even less! Also networks want you to sit through gheir ads which is why they price dvrs so high as to "recoup" tthe "loss" because if you don't see the add for walmaart, pepsi, and mcdonalds then the adverts aren't worth being maid by said companies and thusly not made then paid for to be aired. Seriously advertising is sooo overdone most people have learned to tune it out completely. Like myself. I don't give 2 toots about the new chevy truck I can't afford. I go get something to drink.

volt-aire

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]so apple isn't being greedy enough for the networks ?? bwahahahahaha[/citation]

Read the whole article.. the problem is that apple is not just trying to milk the consumer dry, but the networks feel that now Jobs is taking advantage of them, too. They think Apple is being TOO greedy. As the nameless executive said, their valuable shows would be used as a selling point to move apple hardware (a new perk of the iphone would be that watching episodes of X show is a dollar cheaper than on your computer's itunes), rather than the other way around. Moreover, apple would be taking 33 cents on the dollar.

Also, basking in the little in the typical internet hatred of 'damn that greedy company, wanting to charge me for the content they spent millions of dollars creating!' They have to make money off of their expensive-to-produce property somehow, and that means either charging for it or wedding it with ads which generate revenue.

Why aren't their open-source television programs yet? Get on that, internet. (Though I guess pre-ad youtube counted..)

Status
Not open for further replies.