TV no picture ...

nmou88

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hello, I am here because i got a strange problem occuring on my TVs in my new house, I'm explaining :
Many years ago (in december 2013), I had a samsung TV (bought from 2006) that failed in my new house and I bought a new Toshiba 40l1333dg TV since, but the thing is that yesterday, the TV failed again with the same problem as the samsung
That's what is weird ...
The problem on both televisions was that : I dont have picture (black screen) with the tv on (light is working) but the sound is working for about 5 seconds and it's gone for about 30 minutes and came again for 5 seconds and goes again ...
The problem is the same for both TV and so I think the electricity of the house is the problem but I don't know ...
Can someone of you help please ? (If you know)
Thanx in advance

Hello there.

What you describe looks like a poor HDMI connection. Have you perhaps used...the same HDMI wires as the last TV? Change your wires, or test with another video source, such as a DVD.

Those 2006 Samsung rarely fail and would have lasted longer than the Toshiba.

nmou88

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Sorry, I forget a detail I was wrong :
The song does not come and go, when the tv powers on the song is her for a few seconds and it goes and never come back until your turns off and on again.
But now, my friend got refunded by warranty like you said and he wants to buy a new TV, I hope for him that the problem will not come back in the future...

nmou88

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I dont understand why you say : "Those 2006 Samsung rarely fail and would have lasted longer than the Toshiba."
The life of lcd tv is the same for all approximatively 7 years, no matter of the brand
For me what matter in reliability is the dust cleaning and precautions to take, isnt it ? If you have that, the tv can last even 10 years no matter what the brand is ... So samsung doesnt last more than toshiba

TV's are not all equal, not at all. Some RCA last 6 months, some LG TVs will last less than 3 years, some Samsung will last 10 years, one HDTV I have has over 20 years. I literally have hundreds of TVs that are less than 10 years old in storage because they aren't reparable.
For example, there's no way an RCA LED TV can last 7 years. No way at all. The LED are not even driven correctly, and are not heatsinked. They WILL burn after less than 5 years, unless you always use your TV at the lowest backlight setting that is.

Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc....they all have a possibility of lasting less than 7 years. All is in the luck you have when you buy one, since TVs change completely every few weeks. Would you fly on a plane that's changed every few weeks without prooftesting? ^^;

nmou88

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I agree with you when you say "All is in luck" but then why samsung will last more than toshiba if all is in luck ? You could have more luck with the toshiba than the samsung no ?
Also, if you maintain your tv (clean and be aware) then the tv will have more chances to last, thats what Im saying. For me, the samsung doesnt last more than toshiba ...
Between, I dont know the RCA brand you are talking but I did some research and I found that they are built by chinese company TCL (I dont know this brand too)
Also I dont understand what you mean when you say "tvs change every few weeks" ... Tv models change every year in my knowledge

First of all, Toshiba isn't the same company as long ago. They're a completely chinese-sourced company. They have no korean or japanese parts in the low end models such as that 40l1333. It simply doesn't have the same quality sourcing as LG, Samsung, Panasonic, etc.

But, yes, you are right, they can last as long or longer than a Samsung, depending on your model. Which wasn't the case with your friend's TV, since you brought it back...

Also, yes, cleaning the TV regularly can help. But most issues aren't airflow related, they're manufacturing defects (wanted and unwanted). So no amount of cleaning will protect it if it has such defects.

I say every few weeks, because saying months or years is incorrect. The same exact year model of TV can have over 3 different LCD panels, and completely different internals. Also, there's different models each year, some with different options, such as SMART, etc. These models don't have the exact same panel usually, so they have different internals as well. Companies also release yearly cheaper submodels for companies bestbuy and Costco, with limited options and cheaper panels.