rickdiamond

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
We have a Sanyo DP46848 LCD HDTV with cable connected directly (no cable box). It was working fine and then one day there was no picture or sound. I ran the channel search, it found all the channels, and then it worked fine for several months. Then the problem recurred. This time I ran the channel search and it again found all the channels, but still no picture or sound. The screen just says "No Video." I've done the following trouble shooting:

1. I thought maybe it was a problem with the TV so I tested it by connecting it to the TiVo we use with our other TV (HDMI connection). It worked fine.

2. Then I thought maybe it was a problem with the cable hookup on the TV so I disconnected the cable from the wall and connected it to a VCR. It worked fine.

3.Then I thought it must be a problem somewhere between the cable junction box in the basement and the cable jack in the wall. I tried connecting out other TV to the same cable jack and ran a channel search on that TV. It didn't even find any channels.

4. I thought maybe I had been mistaken about finding channels on the Sanyo TV and it was just that they were already in memory. So I deleted a couple from memory, reran the channel search and it found them again.

Now I'm stumped. Everything I've tested on the TV works and it's apparently getting the cable signal, since it found all the channels. Any suggestions?

You have been very thorough in your troubleshooting. From what you list above I would say that the problem is in the TV. The tuner section, which you use to scan for channels, is getting them but they are not getting to the video section of the TV. We know that works because your Tivo is OK on the TV.
If there is a full reset on the TV menu I might try that. Otherwise contact Sanyo to find out if this is a failure mode they are familiar with in this set.

rickdiamond

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Thanks, but the problem turned out to be that the cable company (Comcast) had started encrypting the signal and I needed a digital adapter. When I said I had received no notice, they said notices were mailed out with bills. I said I receive my bill online. They said well that's why I didn't receive one. I was not impressed.