TV-Stereo-Xbox One Connection

Potts23

Estimable
Aug 19, 2015
I'm not too techy but I was wondering if I could get some help. I have a Vizio TV with HDMI hookups with red and white audio connectors, an Xbox one, and an old magnavox stereo with red and white connectors. I was wondering how to connect all of those together so I can do gaming on my tv with sound coming from me stereo. Every time I turn on my stereo it plays the radio and I can't find out how to play sound through my tv. I have no problem with the Xbox one to the TV. Anything helpful is much appreciated!

Solution
If your Vizio TV has red and white RCA jacks labeled audio output then you just need to connect these to any input (such as tape or aux) on your Magnavox except one that is labeled Phono. Use standard RCA stereo audio cables. Select that input on the stereo and turn down or off the speakers on the TV. The TV volume will probably not control the level coming from the stereo. You will have to use the remote for the stereo if it has one.

It is more likely that the red and white RCA jacks on the TV are an audio input not output. Most TVs have an optical audio output. To use this you will need a DAC like this one
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-%2851-compatible%29--180-999
to connect the TV...
If your Vizio TV has red and white RCA jacks labeled audio output then you just need to connect these to any input (such as tape or aux) on your Magnavox except one that is labeled Phono. Use standard RCA stereo audio cables. Select that input on the stereo and turn down or off the speakers on the TV. The TV volume will probably not control the level coming from the stereo. You will have to use the remote for the stereo if it has one.

It is more likely that the red and white RCA jacks on the TV are an audio input not output. Most TVs have an optical audio output. To use this you will need a DAC like this one
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-%2851-compatible%29--180-999
to connect the TV to the stereo. The Xbox is fine as it is.

Solution