TV tuner card for digital antenna local channels

harliquin76

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I live in jacksonville FL, and I want to add a TV Tuner Card to my pc so that I can watch the local football games on my monitor. I have a digital antenna but I do not know what to look for in a TV tuner card to make sure it can scan for the local digital channels. Can someone tell me a decent priced card that will fit this bill. Running windows 10. I have an open PCI and PCIE slot on my MB.
Thank you for your help, I really don't know anything about digital signals or TV tuner cards.

Solution
You're just looking for anything that has an ATSC (digital) tuner. Personally, I prefer internal cards with a PCI-Ex1 interface, but that's just me.

Something like this Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1265 should do it for you. Just connect a digital antenna with a coaxial connection to it and then scan for channels. Go Here and enter your Zip code to find what digital channels are available in your area. This will help you decide what type of antenna to get.

Wolf sends

Edit: If you can find a WinTV HVR-2250 Kit (with remote control) for around $120 new, I'd probably go with that.
You're just looking for anything that has an ATSC (digital) tuner. Personally, I prefer internal cards with a PCI-Ex1 interface, but that's just me.

Something like this Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1265 should do it for you. Just connect a digital antenna with a coaxial connection to it and then scan for channels. Go Here and enter your Zip code to find what digital channels are available in your area. This will help you decide what type of antenna to get.

Wolf sends

Edit: If you can find a WinTV HVR-2250 Kit (with remote control) for around $120 new, I'd probably go with that.

Solution
^What he says.

There are cheapy stuff out there and I have no idea how they perform but am on my third generation Happauge (german) and despite some complaints on the web (nothing is perfect) I've had nearly zero problem with them, which these days is rare. With a tuner card like this, you can configure a DVR on your PC. With an App, it can even send the picture to your smartphone via your LAN when you are in a room, not wanting to drag the big screen with you!