Twitter Talks #Censorship, Google Talks +Teens

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Twitter has caved, it no longer represents true freedom of speech. By adhereing to local law and providing censorship meachnism it has shown that it too has lost the vision of true freedom of information. Where the tweets of the protesters in egypt and syria legal under local law? Will twitter help regimes such as these filter anti-government tweets? Will twitter decide what governments it supports and which ones it doesn't and elect to only censor the "good" governments? The little birdie needs to grow a backbone.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]Twitter has caved, it no longer represents true freedom of speech. By adhereing to local law and providing censorship meachnism it has shown that it too has lost the vision of true freedom of information. Where the tweets of the protesters in egypt and syria legal under local law? Will twitter help regimes such as these filter anti-government tweets? Will twitter decide what governments it supports and which ones it doesn't and elect to only censor the "good" governments? The little birdie needs to grow a backbone.[/citation]
Exactly!!

I find it amazing just how far backward humanity can go with each supposed advancement. The "Arab Spring" never would have happened without Twitter, and now, Twitter caves making it all the more difficult for something like the "Arab Spring" to happen again - and all in the name of making a buck, I bet, and growing the company. :(

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I would never let my son have a Google+ account or any "social networking" account.
Even if Google tries their best to ward off predators they will still find a way. I know a woman who was stalked and then sexually assaulted by a stranger that found her on Facebook. If that can happen to a adult than why even put children at risk?

As for Twitter I think it is shameful that that they would bring in censorship. It is a shame we always see this happen when companies that originate from places that value the freedoms of speech and expression show in the end they don't care and will fold to the oppressive governments. If I owned Twitter I would rather Twitter be completely banned from any place that demanded this than to be guilty of being part of that censorship. Some things are worth more than profits, freedom is one of those things.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
NO twitter! And why didn't you give a shit when there was all the debate about SOPA and PIPA?

btw I didn't even know Google+ wasn't open to teens. If I were interested, I would've joined anyway. (side note: I don't care at all about social networking)

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
As if any 15 year old wouldn't lie about his birthday on a website. Definitely not on the game sites either where you have to be 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.