Solved! Two drops of (used) olive oil ended up on my laptop

Omiminpo

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
So Two drops of olive oil (which i had use to fry stuff) fell on my laptop while i was eating (I know, I'm stupid). I almost immediately cleaned them, and the laptop seems to be running fine.

Initially i kept using it, but after a while i realized i started obsessing about it so i left overnight turned it upside down (for about 12 hours) to see if anything came out. No oil came out of it (i had a couple of napkins underneath to check)

Everything seems to be working fine, i'm using it now, and the keys aren't sticky or anything, but i'm still obsessing about it.

Am I good? Or should I take any other precaution to avoid an eventual disaster as some hypotetical residual oil seeps in the motherboard?

The main thing that scares me is that oil, unlike water doesn't evaporate...

P.S My laptop is a hp pavilion 17 (https://i2.wp.com/laptopmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IMG_2932.jpg) and while i tried removing the keys to clean it, it took me about one hour to put the first key i removed back, given that the keys work with a very weird plastic mechanicsm, so sadly taking all the keys off to clean more thoroughly isn't really an option

P.S. Please answer to this if you have any idea about it, this stuff is making me increasingly anxious and any take on it might help me calm down

Solution
Next time you add oil to your laptop, add to the recipe some uncooked rice because that should be able to absorb it. It certainly works on water, coffee, tea, etc. Sprinkle a quantity of rice on any liquid and it will soak it up.

As to the present problem, you're probably in the clear but it's best either to take it to a professional repairer or download the maker's service manual and break out the tool kit.
Next time you add oil to your laptop, add to the recipe some uncooked rice because that should be able to absorb it. It certainly works on water, coffee, tea, etc. Sprinkle a quantity of rice on any liquid and it will soak it up.

As to the present problem, you're probably in the clear but it's best either to take it to a professional repairer or download the maker's service manual and break out the tool kit.

Solution

Omiminpo

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

The problem is that as far as i know there's no real way to get underneath the keyboard easily. The keybord is single keys integrated in the actual chassis (not removable as a whole) and they are a mess to remove and put back one by one (took me a hour to remove and put back one, because they have a plastic spring that needs to be put back togheter, and in the end the key was also loose cause one tiny plastic piece broke)

I fix PCs and laptops for a living and some of them can be difficult but others take only a few minutes to take out. Others are manufacturer's service only (which I view as disgusting) but a professional shouldn't charge you much to get inside and see what, if anything is wrong.