Two-Factor Authentication: An Extra Layer of Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I try to use two factor authentication whenever possible. Normally the one time code is sent to my mobile phone for verification. Works pretty well.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Well, I am asking myself - why they don't put 5 layers of security, or 10, why to stop at just two? Five layers of security will make things really more secure. The problem is - I'll lose half hour just to log in my mailbox /in which there's nothing interesting to anybody but me/ every time I want to check my new bunch of spam. And sometimes I need to check like 10+ times a day for work related messages, so making the login procedure more cumbersome really gets in my way.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I think the NSA's working on backdoors into the hardware now. That's probably why Comcast keeps trying to give me a newer, faster router hehe =)

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I'm always astonished that relatively mundane services like google and facebook have two-factor authentication, but none of my financial institutions implement it. Moreover, one of my banks doesn't even allow special characters in their password field, much less 2nd-factor authentication.

drizzt_215

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
2FA can be a chore, but it's worth it. I really like the direction that modern two-factor companies like Toopher are going. I enabled them on my Lastpass account and I dig it.

It feels like we have a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem where users don't know about two-factor and those who do know about it, don't like it. But, without a market--without user demand--companies are not motivated to offer improved services. As pepe2907 implies above, people want improved security without the hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Streaming Video & TVs 2
B Streaming Video & TVs 4
N Streaming Video & TVs 1
E Streaming Video & TVs 1
I Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 3
B Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 7