Typing letters come out as numbers in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston911

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I need help, i posted this in the Win 7 forum, i think it should also go here.
I have a new dell inspiron 580 with Win 7 Home. Everything was great until about a week ago.

When playing games, all my keyboard inputs come out as numbers, and they are not the same numbers, they cycle 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,1... (I press 'a' and 1 comes up, press it again or any other key and 2 comes up, again, 3 and so on) This makes it impossible to do online crosswords or move in any game that uses the wasd keys. The keys all work fine in office, explorer, or any place that just wants text.

This is a desktop not a laptop so the numlock isn't the problem. i have swapped keyboards, updated drivers, turned off accessibility features, checked keyboard language setting, and nothing helps.

The only thing that I changed on the computer around when this problem started was changing anti-virus software, the 30 day McAffe trial was over so I uninstalled it and installed Norton Security Suite, which may be the problem, but i can't go back now.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this with Norton, Win 7, or anywhere?

I suspect Nortons anti-key-logger is messing thing up, but i haven't found any to turn if off or settings to change.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

winston911

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
no, just as i said in the original post

I have a new dell inspiron 580 with Win 7 Home. Everything was great until about a week ago.

When playing games, all my keyboard inputs come out as numbers, and they are not the same numbers, they cycle 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,1... (I press 'a' and 1 comes up, press it again or any other key and 2 comes up, again, 3 and so on) This makes it impossible to do online crosswords or move in any game that uses the wasd keys. The keys all work fine in office, explorer, or any place that just wants text.

This is a desktop not a laptop so the numlock isn't the problem. i have swapped keyboards, updated drivers, turned off accessibility features, checked keyboard language setting, and nothing helps.

The only thing that I changed on the computer around when this problem started was changing anti-virus software, the 30 day McAffe trial was over so I uninstalled it and installed Norton Security Suite, which may be the problem, but i can't go back now.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this with Norton, Win 7, or anywhere?

I suspect Nortons anti-key-logger is messing things up, but i haven't found any way to turn it off or settings to change.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is this kind of info in some manual or something? Thank you area51

winston911

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
It turns out the problem wasn't with norton, but the comcast constant guard security bundle it was a part of. both programs have anti-keyloggers, and the two were trying to foil the other. i uninstalled the comcast constant guard (leaving Norton fully functional), and the problem went away. ironically after uninstalling a customer service survey popped up and asked the reason for removing the program, and the 4 reason on the the survey said "random numbers replacing letter typed into web pages". So they are aware of the problem (or as they might say "feature") but have done nothing to fix it.

thanks to everyone for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.