U.S. Army Announces America's Army 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
This is so low. Propaganda to get young people to go to war. To "protect" their country on the otherside of the earth and perhaps lose their lives.

So low.

Animebando

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Serving in the military is an honor, and you sir (Zoonie) dishonor that. If you live in America, then you should be grateful for those that HAVE already lost their lives for you.

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Will the Army be putting out a Linux version of America's Army v.3 like they did with v.2? I heard rumors that they might or they might not- anybody have any real info?

skalagon

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Hmmm Curnel, military virtues???

I think Tolstoy said it best when he said " What are the habits of the military? The aim of war is murder, the methods of war are spying, treachery, and their encouragement, the ruin of a country's inhabitants, robbing them or stealing to provision the army, and fraud and falsehood termed military craft. The habits of the military class are the absence of freedom, that is, discipline, idleness, ignorance, cruelty, debauchery and drunkenness."

I agree that the military performs a necessary service for now but I think my text wall kinda bums the idea of military virtues up the ass xD.

ispyamoose

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
@MU_Engineer:

They are not planning on creating a Linux version. The fact that the game is only being developed for Windows was established early on. However, it may still be possible to run the game using WINE.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]ispyamoose[/nom]@MU_Engineer:They are not planning on creating a Linux version. The fact that the game is only being developed for Windows was established early on. However, it may still be possible to run the game using WINE.[/citation]There are rumors to the contrary:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcxMA

It's just a funding issue that halted maintenance of the port of the original. The Unreal engine is cross-platform. PunkBuster isn't a problem either as it was used in Doom3 and Quake4 on Linux.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
As a person who served in the US Army my opinion of this game is very negative. War is NOT a video game and it is nothing like the real thing. The fact that they dare say that the game is realistic and authentic is insulting.

bone squat

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I hope this is better than the old America's Army. That game sucked and was riddled with bugs so you couldn't get past the training missions. I never was able to play online because of the intense glitches. Maybe they fixed it in this version. I just can't stand all the training bull crap to get into the actual game. It is afterall a game, adding the whole moral aspect might ruin it for me. I play FPS games purely to kill people. Honor, respect...?? Who needs that crap. That's for 3rd grade japanese students. Kamakazi and crap.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
I played the original version until it bacame apparent that it was severely hacked. Setting up ambushes was useless when the opponent could see through all walls and pinpoint enemy locations.

NukeShadow, AA was the most realistic when compared to all the other FPS games out there. How many rounds are you going to be able to take before being incapacitated? Usually only one, but other games let you take many and keep on fighting. At least AA modeled that part somewhat correctly. I don't think anybody believes that a game can realistically convey the whole aspect of a real warzone. The best you can hope for is realistic weapon damage/reliability and strive for realistic tactics.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
@Animebando & @curnel_D

There is definitly NOTHING wrong with joining the army to protect and defend your country! Don't make it sound like I'm dishonoring that.

But I don't see any glory or honor in putting young people on the other side of the earth because of false reasons, when the goal really is resources and political objectives. There is no way any country in the world could actually do any harm to US soil. There are actually defenses against remotely launched robots.

In the name of "protection" - is it ok to send people to their deaths and make it look cool with a game? Yeah honestly, it's people like you who actually start wars. Why don't you talk to a couple of Vietnam vets and see what they think of your "honor"?

Whatever country that US army goes to, has an army of its own, and they have no other orders than to "protect & defend" their own country, by killing the people who has landed on their soil - yes, the US army! People shooting eachother half-a-planet away from US soil. That's called defending the homeland alright.
Nowadays 'invasion' and 'protection' seem to have equal meanings.

And this "game" my friends are nothing but propaganda for politicians to get their political views realized.

Army toys are really cool, I do agree, that's why we play games like COD4. Using an M16 to put 30-40 soldiers to sleep makes you feel good before dinner. In reality, however, you'd be killing someones son, someones father, someones husband.

Games should stay what they are, namely, GAMES.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I have no problem with an individual, of sound mind, deciding to defend their country and beliefs by serving in the military. What I have a problem with is the Army glorifying the service by associating it with a video game.

"Are you dumb enough to think that serving in a real military is comparable to a video game?" "Did you get your first frag and think: 'God, I would really love to shoot someone in real life!'?" "Then the Army is for you."

I think people need to be made aware of the personal sacrifice and dedication it takes to serve, and the risks involved, not just how important teamwork is.

On the otherhand, anyone juvenile or naiive enough to be conviced to join the military by a video game could probably use the order and discipline instilled by a tour of service.

xTalent

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Known about this for a while, the series never really interested me and I bet a thousand people can guess why.

G

I name it "Devil Army".US army do not protect country but protect profits of military industries,petrol industries and everywhere that billionaires have a reason to change situation.

MotorMouth

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Here's what AA is about. You need to complete the training to help with the team based aspect of game play, it's not a run and gun game.
You get more Honor points for completing objectives not killing. It brings in a lot of real military players and none of them say battle is like the game. They do tell the people that ask the truth.

Now people like Calyman is the type of person that will cuss the US military about how bad they are. Now if he is in the USA then he can do it openly without repercussions. But in other countries he would be killed. Like the guy that threw the show at Bush. He now has the freedom to throw a shoe at the person that set in motion the action that freed him. Ain't America great, if he had done that to Saddam he would have been killed.

Calyman please step away from the Kool-Aid of what your smoking please. You have killed way to many brain cells.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
If the game is so realistic do your best friends die beside you? I'm sorry, but I do NOT like that the army want to mix "fun" and war. If you serve in the military than I praise you for your virtue. However, to make a game about this to try to make military service "fun" is too far. I can't help but feel that this is disrespecting the brave men and women who found the strength to risk their lives for their country. Regardless of what their country is having them do, right or wrong, it is still a great honour and a great sacrifice for these people to be doing this. There is NOTHING FUN about the military, there is only responsibility and sacrifice. Don't cheapen that with a game and don't try to lure those into the military that do not understand it fully by making it look "fun". These people will only get themselves or others killed.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]curnel_D[/nom]I dont think the deveopers are trying to subject it's players to the harshness and brutality of war, NuclearShadow. It's simply a tool on a popular media to raise recruitment.[/citation]

And that's the problem is its a recruitment tool and its a dishonest one. No one comes back from war the same they may be able to hide it but it alters you forever. People should know this before they make the choice of enlisting instead our own military is trying to teach that its just like a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.