U.S. Army Overhauls Training; Toughens Up Geeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
If i got into a fight i got expelled, even when i didnt start it i got a week vacation and that was 3 years ago i here it has gotten worse so they are mad now people cant fight, but if they do fight ruin their lives

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
U.S. Army doesn't see Modern Warfare 2 as a complete simulations package? First of all, it's not even realistic by game standards. Second, duh! They'd do better to train the troops for law enforcement duties since that's what they'll be doing for the foreseeable future thanks to the previous moron-in-chief.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Pretty much how it goes. Start a fight, get an assault charge, then there goes your chances of getting a job at many places. I can relate to your comment very well. Lots of places I go to work do background checks and don't let people who have bad records on the property. If your goal is to join the Army, I guess it's okay to start fights according to the article.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
one-shot, you only get an assault charge if you are convicted in court, as an adult. the argument in this article is for younger kids to embody these principles of physical fitness, people that won't necessarily screw up their future by getting in a scuffle on the school yard...it is too late for us though unfortunately....

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Catering to people with an itch to stab and hit people sounds like a recipe for disaster. I thought a reduction in physical violence on places like the playground was a good thing for society, or so I was led to believe.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's probably not just fist fighting he's talking about. I see the newer generation is very gay, and weak as well. They don't work out hard, they don't like getting their hands dirty, and they just don't have the toughness. When we were kids, you were outdoors all day playing sports (some of which included boxing) or riding a bike, not playing video games and using gay terms like "eye candy". But, starting a fight was always considered a bad thing.

So, now the army is getting these effeminate girly men, and struggling with it. Society has changed. I don't know if their training can undo a lifetime of laziness and weakness. For some, they need to be challenged physically and their nature will make them accept it, but for many, it might be too much to ask after eating Twinkies and shooting space aliens from a sofa all their lives.

We better start working on killer robots.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I think you guys are misunderstanding him. He is saying society as a whole is getting weaker. That would include everyone pressing charges instead of just standing up for themselves and being a man. I'm not saying you have to be violent to be a man but a man does need to be able to take of himself and his business. No one believes in honor or sacrifice anymore. I guess I'm lucky in that if I got into a scuffle with a class mate we just got detention and had to suck it up. Also, he is probably just using MW2 as an example of what new recruits thinks are simulations. You guys really need relax and read things with some intuition. I guess none of you have ever been in the military. I understood what he was trying to convey.

tank

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I believe that article to have more truth in it than recognized. I agree most people are soft in this generation. Kids aren't outside as much and rough it up outside. Thats to be expected when the next generation of warfare is using technology like UAVs and what not.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
They are right about this-Recruits are lazier, fatter and act like babies more than ever. Drill Sergeants are not allowed to be so hard on them for fear of complaints.

Anyway, there's even more changing that isn't mentioned here. All of it not having to do with gaming at all.

(11B/11C Natl Guard 2001-2009)

Heoytes

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
This could be good. While the 21st century brings accurate firearms and tons of new technology, hand-to-hand combat shouldn't be deprioritized. And that's not something you learn in Steet Fighter. :)

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Maybe some of those recruits are just soft in the head. Want some strength, discipline and courage? Teach them to fight with their brains, not just their fists..they may just end up asking who the real enemies are, and what they're actually fighting for..

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]DokkRokken[/nom]Catering to people with an itch to stab and hit people sounds like a recipe for disaster. I thought a reduction in physical violence on places like the playground was a good thing for society, or so I was led to believe.[/citation]
Good for society but not good for the army.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Most people here are missing the point of the General. Just as Europe has become war weary as a whole, America is following suit. Not only have we replaced our violent tendencies (somewhat) with video games, but we have made it socially unacceptable to hit anyone under any circumstances. As a result we have reaped what has been sown: people who would talk it out before throwing the fist.

Is this a bad thing? Probably not. Most people don't go to war, and the people we need in this kind of war aren't cold blooded killers, but instead cool headed, suave talkers who can earn the respect and hearts of occupied people. They aren't gay or "girly men", they are a different type of people from a different generation. Alas, I am one of them.

ms1191

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nicklasd87[/nom]one-shot, you only get an assault charge if you are convicted in court, as an adult. the argument in this article is for younger kids to embody these principles of physical fitness, people that won't necessarily screw up their future by getting in a scuffle on the school yard...it is too late for us though unfortunately....[/citation]

If you assault someone you get a police charge of assault, whether or not you get convicted.

Being charged by the police of committing a crime is separate from actually being convicted and found guilty of the crime.

Depending on the background check, being charged of, but not convicted of a specific crime may or may not show up.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Peoplr are soft but, the made it that way if you even defend yourself you get charged with assault ask my sister who got beat up by er bf and he had a scratch on his neck guess who got in trouble... the girl with the black eye and split lip it cost thousands to keep an assault charge for a scratch off of her record

Status
Not open for further replies.