U.S. Government Tries to Stop Megaupload Successor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
USA enforcing a bail set by an NZ court on an NZ citizen on a case they can't successfully extradite.

America is judge, jury, and dog bounty hunter rolled into one..

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I'm from New Zealand. I can tell you that this whole dot com saga has blown up in the United States face, public opinion of the US is down, and the NZ PM is quite red faced over it due to the illegal ways that the information about Megaupload was collected(The GCSB is in a bit of trouble).

Dotcom looks like he will win his court case and be able to stay in NZ(so far).

NZ has very basic laws when it comes to copy right, the skynet law has fallen over too. Don't be too surprised if this "Mega" site pops up and stays ;)

On a personal note, I'd like to invite the US to stick to their own country. We're sick of you pushing us around and expecting us to bend over backwards for you. We are kiwis, not americans. We have kiwi laws, not american laws

Long story short, quit throwing your weight around and stick to your own borders

koolaidman93

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
@silver565

I'm from the US and I want us to stick to our own borders as well. The way the US is heading is not very promising.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]I'm from New Zealand. I can tell you that this whole dot com saga has blown up in the United States face, public opinion of the US is down, and the NZ PM is quite red faced over it due to the illegal ways that the information about Megaupload was collected(The GCSB is in a bit of trouble).Dotcom looks like he will win his court case and be able to stay in NZ(so far).NZ has very basic laws when it comes to copy right, the skynet law has fallen over too. Don't be too surprised if this "Mega" site pops up and stays On a personal note, I'd like to invite the US to stick to their own country. We're sick of you pushing us around and expecting us to bend over backwards for you. We are kiwis, not americans. We have kiwi laws, not american lawsLong story short, quit throwing your weight around and stick to your own borders[/citation]

I agree that if you are not doing anything inherently immoral that each sovereign state's laws should be respected. That is the nature of sovereignty.

However, just playing devil's advocate: Since most of the Interweb's backbone is in the US, the whole "keep your laws out of our country" could backfire if the US in turn says that you can't connect to our Interwebs anymore...

Just sayin...

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I agree that if you are not doing anything inherently immoral that each sovereign state's laws should be respected. That is the nature of sovereignty. However, just playing devil's advocate: Since most of the Interweb's backbone is in the US, the whole "keep your laws out of our country" could backfire if the US in turn says that you can't connect to our Interwebs anymore...Just sayin...[/citation]

Fair comment, but it isn't just the dotcom saga now, the US is really starting to get into NZ now and stir things up, it's becoming quite annoying. The TPP is going to damage our country quite badly, and we can't get out of it because of the weight the US has.

It's a sad thing to watch your own country get destroyed, wouldn't you agree? Everything your country stands for, worked hard to achieve etc is destroyed in a matter of years by someone else who only cares for themself

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]olin9[/nom]@silver565 then stop using products from the USA. No movies or music for YOU.[/citation]

Wow aren't you mature! Perhaps NZ should stop exporting milk? We produce about 1/3 of the words supply.

NO MILK FOR YOU

see, everyone can be an immature dropkick.

I was merely saying that NZ law should be observed while in NZ. Not the US laws. If I were to visit your country, would you want me to observe my laws, or yours?

Act your age, not your shoe size. NZ has done nothing to harm the US, we've been nothing but good to you, so why are you determined to ruin us?

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I like how he thinks that all the world's movies and music are made in the states. I say, keep your shitty little Hollywood there, and quit useing foreign talent (Non US born people) and we'll see how far that takes you.
US needs to keep it's nose out of other peoples business, and worry more about sorting themselves out. It was afterall their fault for the world recession with their constant greed.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Rhinofart[/nom]I like how he thinks that all the world's movies and music are made in the states. I say, keep your shitty little Hollywood there, and quit useing foreign talent (Non US born people) and we'll see how far that takes you.US needs to keep it's nose out of other peoples business, and worry more about sorting themselves out. It was afterall their fault for the world recession with their constant greed.[/citation]

Agreed, they can't have it both ways if they want to start pulling down the house.

I wouldn't blame them for creating the recession, I'd blame multiple countries. But the US is right up there

ibjeepr

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]silver565[/nom]Wow aren't you mature! Perhaps NZ should stop exporting milk? We produce about 1/3 of the words supply.NO MILK FOR YOUsee, everyone can be an immature dropkick.I was merely saying that NZ law should be observed while in NZ. Not the US laws. If I were to visit your country, would you want me to observe my laws, or yours?Act your age, not your shoe size. NZ has done nothing to harm the US, we've been nothing but good to you, so why are you determined to ruin us?[/citation]

I am in the U.S. and I would love to see the U.S. start focusing a little more between the borders, however, when American businesses are hurt by foreign copyright infringement (i.e. China) then I say we go where ever we need to in order to take legal action.
As far as milk goes, I'm pretty sure between California and Wisconsin, the U.S. isn't in dire need of import milk; but I've never looked into how much we import and from where for milk so I may be wrong.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Rhinofart[/nom]I like how he thinks that all the world's movies and music are made in the states. I say, keep your shitty little Hollywood there, and quit useing foreign talent (Non US born people) and we'll see how far that takes you.US needs to keep it's nose out of other peoples business, and worry more about sorting themselves out. It was afterall their fault for the world recession with their constant greed.[/citation]
The problem with that is that when the US does stick their nose into something everyone says they should stay out but when something happens and the US doesn't do anything the world is criticizing us for not doing anything. The world is two faced about us and no matter what we do we are gonna get attacked for it.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ibjeepr[/nom]I am in the U.S. and I would love to see the U.S. start focusing a little more between the borders, however, when American businesses are hurt by foreign copyright infringement (i.e. China) then I say we go where ever we need to in order to take legal action.As far as milk goes, I'm pretty sure between California and Wisconsin, the U.S. isn't in dire need of import milk; but I've never looked into how much we import and from where for milk so I may be wrong.[/citation]

And the FBI illegaly taking data out of NZ is ok? Misleading our authorities is ok?

You have cost us millions of dollars, and it is unacceptable. We have a population of 4 million. Every person in NZ would have to give more than $2 to cover the cost of your failed raid

Thanks for wasting our money

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]The problem with that is that when the US does stick their nose into something everyone says they should stay out but when something happens and the US doesn't do anything the world is criticizing us for not doing anything. The world is two faced about us and no matter what we do we are gonna get attacked for it.[/citation]

You have to make up your mind though. One action or the other. You either don't do anything and stick to that, or you do something and stick to that. Flip flopping is why the bad name keeps getting dished out.

I bet you, that if the US didn't do anything but look after themselves for 20 years, perceptions would change

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]ibjeepr[/nom]I am in the U.S. and I would love to see the U.S. start focusing a little more between the borders, however, when American businesses are hurt by foreign copyright infringement (i.e. China) then I say we go where ever we need to in order to take legal action.As far as milk goes, I'm pretty sure between California and Wisconsin, the U.S. isn't in dire need of import milk; but I've never looked into how much we import and from where for milk so I may be wrong.[/citation]

Lucky for you that it happened to be New Zealand, a country who "assist" the US, cause if would've been China, Russia or others, USA would be singing another song.
....still, people and countries need to learn to know their role and watch their own shit.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]Lucky for you that it happened to be New Zealand, a country who "assist" the US, cause if would've been China, Russia or others, USA would be singing another song.....still, people and countries need to learn to know their role and watch their own shit.[/citation]

And unfortunately for my country we've lost millions of dollars for "assisting" the US. We aren't a big country, nor are we rich.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]koolaidman93[/nom]@silver565I'm from the US and I want us to stick to our own borders as well. The way the US is heading is not very promising.[/citation]

I'm glad to hear that. Please don't assume I hate the US, I just dislike your government at the moment.

Perhaps you should run for president? You'd do a better job than the people you have running at the moment ;)

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
If the RIAA has said that the biggest piracy threats are from China, India, and Russia. Why did they nail an 18yr old English kid, a 34yr old solo mother from Texas? and now trying to nail a fat German living in NZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.