U.S. Military Chose Android for Tactical Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Sweet, score one for the green team!

If they ever take the phones out of the US they might need to put satellite dongles into their phones, some places don't have GPRS/2.5G/3G and it's also more secure.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Who said war wasn't profitable? Jeeze it looks like it's one of the last remaining growth industries. Well done, Obama. I bet it even uses green technology. Aren't we the lucky sod's to have you, and the people you represent, sending our young kids off to fight these foreign wars all with the aid of sophisticated technology. My God we're so lucky aren't we.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I hope those military spec Android smart phones have decent battery life compared to civi version. One big draw back to droid phones.

I am sure the smart phones have built-on hardware encryption and very rugged. Most of you knuckleheads think the US military is going to use smart phone from the local cell phone store!?!? lol

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]I hope those military spec Android smart phones have decent battery life compared to civi version. One big draw back to droid phones.I am sure the smart phones have built-on hardware encryption and very rugged. Most of you knuckleheads think the US military is going to use smart phone from the local cell phone store!?!? lol[/citation]

Hah...missed the commercial smart phones with rugged sleeve. Need more caffeine! Unless water proof I cant see that working out too well in real World situations.

G

no one said war isnt profitable!

and why cant ppl just call them applications instead of pretending "apps" is something different

G

To the comments of people saying Android isn't secure enough, you are right, to an extent. It's going to be a Military Grade smartphone which also means the Government is most likely going to have a hand in the security of this device. To "Wild9" really? Do we seriously have to blame EVERYTHING on Obama? Unfortunately countries HAVE to have armies, there is always going to be war. Lets not also forget that this is a volunteer Military that we have. No one forced these young kids to join. They signed the contract knowing what they were getting in to, if they didn't know what they were getting in to then their parents failed at raising them right. I joined the US Army almost 4 years ago and I made sure I knew everything I could about the Army before even thinking of talking to a recruiter. As my old First Sergeant always said "There's only one reason for a Nation to have a Military, War!" Also, yes the Military is actually using "green technology." The Military isn't as bad as you are trying to make it out to be. I have deployed and have served my first 4 year contract honorably and have re-enlisted for another 3 which I will serve honorably then get out. It's not about profit, it's about keeping us safe so we can come home. Why do you think all these unmanned weapons are coming out? Rifles that can attach a pistol and shoot around corners. It's about safety, not money.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
"Negative soldier, you can't go there, access denied, please press 1 to call Steve Jobs, press 2 to prepare to die" lol hahah.

It's obvious they won't choose OS X or something. I can't imagine soldiers running with Cydia and stuff to jailbreak that shitty OS.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Oh man, that wasn't a smart choice by the US Military...but not that iOS is any better of a choice.[/citation]
just so you know, iOS is a more secure, not by much but it is

Starmon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
If the Army could use LASER distance/Azimuth measuring devices attached to their weapons & Android, they could triangulate the exact point of a 'bad guy' via at least 2 GPS equipped soldiers. Then let's see those bastards get away. Think cosmic !!

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]spc_hicks09[/nom]It's not about profit, it's about keeping us safe so we can come home. Why do you think all these unmanned weapons are coming out? Rifles that can attach a pistol and shoot around corners. It's about safety, not money.[/citation]
It's not about profit;
It's not about keeping your home secure - China owns your mortgage and there's violence everywhere;

It's all about keeping the war industry alive, either through the terror paranoia or with the creation of fake wars such as Vietnam or Iraqi.

[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Android is the most secure mobile OS on the planet that's available to the general public.[/citation]
Wrong. Anything is safer than Android, even iOS. Actually a smartphone is not needed to handle GPS and texting some coordinates.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Okay so i really like this idea and people you really think there going to have this running on a public network. Please LOL. Okay so i was a 14E in the army and we had our own networks we attached to we didnt use any sort of public network for anything its very easy to attach a "short range" cell tower to a vehicle or a group of vehicles ohh and lest us not forget the predator that can be equiped with a reciever and that can fly for a total of 24 hours.. and thats just the stuff we know about please understand that the government has there own versions of Operating systems they actually have a government edition of XP that is 3 times more secure than the crap we use and they also have computers that are using processors and other forms of computer hardware that is anywhere from 3 to 5 years newer than what we use.. just look at the date stamped on your current core i7 2600 there made in 2009... so this is great news just think about what can be done with this they could create spy drones that could mark snipers on roofs and send the info to googlemaps on the ground pounders droids and than they know exactly where it is.. this is amazing tech i hope it all works out

prabal34

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Well the military better not use iPhones.... since those phones track everywhere you go, what if it were to fall into enemy hands???

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]prabal34[/nom]Well the military better not use iPhones.... since those phones track everywhere you go, what if it were to fall into enemy hands???[/citation]

Lo Jack for phones ohh even better it has a small explosive charge in it and it goes boom when its lost or stolen =) but in all reality they can be tracked and killed instantly i am sure thats part of the security protocall just like military issued laptops they have passwords and lojack and other security measures to prevent information being stolen from them. plus sensitive data is never stored on a remote unit there stored on central servers and accessed in real time via a advanced network

Status
Not open for further replies.