U.S. Mobile Carriers Claim to be Running Out of Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanirudh

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
How is it that China, which is of roughly same land area as USA, and 3 times the number of cellphone subscribers, doesn't have this kind of problem ?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sanirudh[/nom]How is it that China, which is of roughly same land area as USA, and 3 times the number of cellphone subscribers, doesn't have this kind of problem ?[/citation]

Because its all bogus claims...

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
If there isn't a shortage of spectrum, then buying up spectrum isn't going to cause a barrier to upstarts.

If there is a shortage of spectrum that would mean the market couldn't support any more upstarts anyways.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Im not totally sure how this works but isn't this like saying you are running out of colors? I under stand the hardware is only so precise but can't we go deeper in to the spectrum as in instead of 2.33 and 2.34 go to 2.333 and 2.334 as in increasing the order of magnitude between channels. I fully admit that it probably is no where that simple it still smells fishy though.

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
erunion I think they are saying that the RANGE they have is running out of channels they can fit in it and that they want some more spectrum ranges opened up.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Shortage my butt.

As sanirudh said, the U.S has under 400 million people while China has billions and I'm sure more than 1/3 of them have mobile devices of SOME kind.

U.S has technology on its side, so use it.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
how do you run out of spectrum??? why don't they come up with a new spectrum?...we ran out of spectrum, therefore customers now haev to pay us 3 times as much...it's all about greed

G

Bogus claims by two gready company's want to stop any mom and pop start ups to take any of the cash away
THE RICH GET,GET RICHER

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]sanirudh[/nom]How is it that China, which is of roughly same land area as USA, and 3 times the number of cellphone subscribers, doesn't have this kind of problem ?[/citation]
While I agree it is a bullshit claim, I do not think China is as data heavy yet as we are. I could be wrong, but I'm assuming the majority of their users are still just voice and maybe SMS, not data hog 3G and up users with Android/iphones.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Article, is misleading, while every phone need it's own frequency, frequencies are shared between phones. Using time division as well as modularization. So, no everyone is not istting around with their own frequency at all times.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Article, is misleading, while every phone need it's own frequency, frequencies are shared between phones. Using time division as well as modularization. So, no everyone is not istting around with their own frequency at all times.[/citation]

US is the technology innovator, but when comes to mobile phone / technology adoption, US doesn't have any edge over other countries

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
From what I under stand this doesn't have to do with how much data is being used its seems its allot more like IP addresses maybe I'am misunderstanding sounds like there claiming there running out of spectrum to assign handsets.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Shortage my butt.As sanirudh said, the U.S has under 400 million people while China has billions and I'm sure more than 1/3 of them have mobile devices of SOME kind.U.S has technology on its side, so use it.[/citation]

1.4b or so isn't billions.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
This goes along with their bogus claim that their networks can't match the bandwidth of Europe and Asia. It's all a plot to run the industry whichever they please and screw customers. $100 contracts is outrageous when you compare what other countries pay and there's absolute no reason why it must be that high

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Why is it that the chart shows NZ using a 3.3 - 3.8 Ghz bandwisth when their Telecom CDMA phones run at 800Mhz... Telstra in AUS use 850Mhz and 2100Mhz, I think the picture is bogus just like the US carriers claims.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
lol we've only recently added 3G bandwidth here in India. 1.2b ppl and i'd estimate 75% have mobile devices capable of using 2G and 3G. Landmass is smaller than the US. More carriers than you people have. Our carriers were claiming the same thing, but well they probably have a case.

Anyway, to avoid interference you have to keep individual signals far enough. But i don't know what's up with your US ppl.

Spectrum allocation works similarly to say, the difference b/w a Cat5 and Cat6 Ethernet cable. Cat 6 will have smoother flow of simultaneous data, since i believe it's got more bandwidth available. Correct me if i'm wrong here.

G

"Because of the necessity of an individual frequency for every single mobile phone"

I believe that this statement is wrong!

Not that we are in the digital era, each cell phone receives a lot of signal on a frequency. But it just accept only those who are coded for him. And as the messages are all encoded, a cell phone can not easily listen to what other cell phone or device are discussing.

Modifies cell phone exist, and can be bought in China, by example, which have "extended" capacities.

It's like having an ethernet network with a hub instead of a switch as central distributor.
It's like having a 10base-T network. All on the same signal line, and being able to hear everything, but only listening to the packets which are directed to you.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
The article is right. DSLReports have said for years that the Large mobile carriers "camp" on frequencies just to keep other competitor's from using them. The mobile carriers don't use them, themselves, they just need to keep them tied up to prevent them from being used by others. Until the large mobile carriers use the frequencies they already have, I say Shenanigans!

Status
Not open for further replies.