U.S. Teens Ingoring Texting-While-Driving Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSBrando

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
That pisses me off. It's not the fact that they don't care if police can prove whether or not they're texting, I'm 22 and am afraid that texting will lead to hitting me and someone getting hurt. But teenagers don't think that far ahead. Morons.

G

Studies prove that texting is more dangerous then drunk driving. I bike and I am terrified of people texting. They are like drunk drivers driving in the daytime. I've seen many teens texting while driving and almost causing accidents. I myself tried texting while driving and realized I am a much better driver drunk then while trying to text.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]leafblower29[/nom]Natural selection.[/citation]

It's not natural selection when both of you die when they crash into you XD

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I hope natural selection works on these kids. I'm a teenager myself but I would never dream of putting my life on the line just to text.

I just hope that the natural selection process doesn't endanger other people.

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I text while driving all the time, but I don't need to look down at my phone to do it. I have the keys memorized, but that doesn't mean I'm not concentrating on it! I scared the pooh out of myself one night, I started to drift onto the gravel next to the road WHILE I WAS LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW. I still do it, but mostly just at stop signs/lights now, and I try not to when there are other cars around. I know I wouldn't like it if someone was texting while driving next to me, so I try to return the favor. But like someone said above, it's natural selection. If I'm stupid enough to do it (when no other cars are around) then I deserve to crash and die (hopefully I won't).

metalfellow

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]If they're caught, cut their hands off and then they can't text anymore. Problem solved.[/citation]

Nor could they drive :S

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
"She also added that it would be difficult to prove, as the messaging would be completed by the time the police approached the driver's window."

Yep. No such thing as a sent box.

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
This is pure stupidity.

First of all; texting.

Secondly; while you're driving? You look down and focus on a 3 inch screen while driving.

God damned us all, the world is full of idiots.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Also try proving you're not dialing a number instead of texting. The cops near where I live told the city counsels that it was an unenforceable law and they would never waste their time arguing against the charge.

Personally, I think any phone use should be outlawed while driving. Most highways in the US have shoulders large and safe enough to park on and side streets have more than enough temporary parking so you can take/make a phone call. God forbid, you let your voice mail take the call.

Bloodblender

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Maybe we should give those teenagers a few of our Aussie TAC-style ads, but this time it won't be against drink driving. More gruesome facts and images might deter those idiotic teenagers from causing more deaths/injuries.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]grillz9909[/nom]I text while driving all the time, but I don't need to look down at my phone to do it. I have the keys memorized, but that doesn't mean I'm not concentrating on it! I scared the pooh out of myself one night, I started to drift onto the gravel next to the road WHILE I WAS LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW. I still do it, but mostly just at stop signs/lights now, and I try not to when there are other cars around. I know I wouldn't like it if someone was texting while driving next to me, so I try to return the favor. But like someone said above, it's natural selection. If I'm stupid enough to do it (when no other cars are around) then I deserve to crash and die (hopefully I won't).[/citation]

The problem is it's so often that other people are hurt by these selfish actions. Driving requires all of your attention, you shouldn't be texting or calling/talking on your phone EVER while driving. Add to that drug/drunk driving, map reading, putting on makeup, turning round to talk to your kids and all the other stupid things people do. Even the hands free kits on phones are dangerous because your attention is still focused somewhere else.

Don't be selfish, people. If you need to make a call/send a text pull over ffs or get your passenger to call/text for you cause if you crash you might just kill someone else as well as yourself.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
well go figure...we got a lot of stupid teens these days..Not saying I didnt do my share of stupid things as a teens but nothing that dumb...at least that I can remember haha.Most my friends 19-21 still text in they're car as long as no cops are around.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
It's a very similar situation to when wearing seat belts were made law. It was slow to catch on, lots of 'excuses' not to, ignoring the simple safety facts that we all pretty much know and accept today. Even in terms of proving it at the time and having the charges stick. In the end it worked and we're all safer for it.

As for texting, it's the same basic principal. You text when not around other cars... ok, do you not wear your seat belt when no other cars are around too? Messages have time stamps and if you ever went to court I'm sure they would have no problem proving it on that end. It's not 'natural selection' if you kill a family in a minivan along with yourself. etc etc, get real people.

It's a good step in the right direction and it will catch on, it is just going to take some time like it did with seat belts. In 10 years we'll be looking back saying it's hard to believe we were stupid enough to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.