U.S. Treasury Sites Hacked, Serves Up Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]gov is not the most secure they dont hire the brightest private companies do.[/citation]

He said that people assume that to be true, not that it actually is.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Well correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming there are some educated people assigned for security in all those u.s. departments, this might just be an inside job..

Scotteq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
"Government Sites Are Secure"

"The Recession Is Over"

"Won't Raise Taxes"

"Honey, I swear I won't ..... in your mouth"

Yeahhhh....

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsifal57[/nom]You may want to keep an eye on http://www.theregister.co.uk/ since this was news there yesterday.........[/citation]

Why do I want to keep an eye on that website? Do I have to manually check thousands of important sites that don't pertain to my immediate interest daily? No.

bin82

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]wild9[/nom]Somehow, security and common sense don't seem to go too well with this current administration.[/citation]

Still trying to kick the habit left from the Bush administration.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Well correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming there are some educated people assigned for security in all those u.s. departments, this might just be an inside job..[/citation]
Um, yeah, you're wrong. :)

G

Ummmmm, I fail to see how changing the design on the $100 bill would have any impact to money launderers... I do see how it may have an impact on counterfeiters...

"It may be possible that the attack on the U.S. Department of the Treasury stems from the introduction of the newly redesigned $100 bill, a retaliation against the governments attempts to thwart money launderers.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Bruceification73[/nom]Considering how easy it is to exploit a site and even log in as an admin, I highly doubt it was an inside job. Any 15-yr-old geek could have done it.[/citation]
In fact that happened in germany some years ago. Some 15 year old script kiddie found insecure ftp services hosted openly on goverment sites, which contained sensitive data.

Anyway, having friends both in bank it jobs, goverment jobs, police and prison jobs here in denmark and germany, I don't really feel confident that things are really secure enough.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
"Somehow, security and common sense don't seem to go too well with this current administration." (-9)

A-ha, the old flag campaign, eh? Looks like some people don't like others criticizing governments..how dare they speak ill of Obama, or the Federal Reserve deficit, or the Immigration, Security as well as other national and domestic policies.

Keep an eye on the this..see which comments get massively voted down. I wonder if the same people belong to the 'army of flaggers', who routinely vote down You Tube video's..

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
And this is supposed to surprise us how?

And for those who foolishly blame "this administration" you should remember that all of this has been in place much longer than this administration and the policies (or lack of them) are carryovers from previous administrations.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]gov is not the most secure they dont hire the brightest private companies do.[/citation]
Yep! And this is why McAfee zorched computers worldwide with an AV update.

For those who believe that gov has some brains should look at the kindergarten act going on in the gov of the State of New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.