UAE gets First Wide Scale PRT Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
What are the specifics of this?

I can images a system with vehicles, each with a processing unit, over a network, with some central unit. Each unit would relay information to each other, and the network, on things like road conditions, obstacles, routes, and route priority.

What about ownership? do people own these vehicles?

Although the road system would be radically different. As things like traffic stops would be unneeded.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I personally haven't vistited the UAE, but I know quite a few people who have. I think a lot of people outside of the region would be surprised how nice it really is there.

The ironic thing about all this is for them to do a green push when their livelyhood is so dependant on oil. Then again they don't have much to worry about. Even if the US (laughing to myself) goes green China's using more oil than ever (before the world wide recession anyway) so the demands not going anywhwere.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]If they were personally owned, then they can be personally modded... "engage the 'I'm late for work, drive like a jerk' mode"[/citation]

Yes, don't forget the sunday driver in the middle of the week mode. Or, I don't understand the concept of right of way mode. Or the my vehicles bigger than yours so I'm gonna run you off the road mode. Actually if you're an oil producing country, it makes a lot of sense to change over to green transportation. That way you're countries consumable fuels are sold only to other countries, so you don't have to worry about the price per barrel costs with imports.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The UAE has always been more progressive (relatively speaking) to it's Arab neighbors. They have seen the writing on the wall for fossil fuels for some time; what, with bio-algae, wind, solar, nuclear etc. What they are currently doing is a Hail-Mary pass and betting all or nothing that if they develope enough world beating infastructure and amenities than people will want to live and conduct business there even if there is no oil. It will either succeed or fail spectacularly.

Here is a scary thought: Currently most Arab nations only have enough indigenous natural resources (water, fertile land) to feed 10% of their current populations. When the oil runs out, or becomes obsolete, and they fail, which most certainly the majority will ( just look at their work ethic), to develope alternate exportable goods/services 90% will starve or dessicate (best word for "die of thirst" I can think of) to death. However, in light of their enormous financial investment in the west, they may strong-arm developed countires to take in all those people.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Having a 'green' program is a decent enough idea. I'm sure they realize that in 50-100 years the oil fields will be dry even if demand for oil DOESN'T go away.

If comments from blackbeastofaaaaagh are true, perhaps they should consider spending hundreds of millions of dollars (360 million AE Dirham) on reverse-osmosis systems to purify water from the 'Persian' Gulf and to develop arable land so they can grow food.

Living in a world economy, however, they may just choose to continue to import food/water and spend what they can today to build cool infrastructure to attract future investment. Just make sure those cars you are buying can be upgraded to use the uber-cool silicon nano-wire batteries that should be hitting the streets in a few years... they will hold ~10x the charge of li-ion.

Status
Not open for further replies.