[UK] Laptop under £700 for Work/travel/light photoshop/gaming

caffelatte

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
1. What is your budget? No specific budget. I'm thinking around £500-600, as I think any more and I can just get a macbook.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14-16"

3. What screen resolution do you want? Average to as high as possible, it's not a priority to be HD though.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? This will be my new computer as I'll be moving to China and will be using this until I settle permanently and get a desktop or move back.

5. How much battery life do you need? Something over 4 hours I imagine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Maybe League of Legends, It will maybe be used for work, movies, some photoshop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Some photoshop

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I'd like 750 GB+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. John Lewis (www.johnlewis.com - as I have vouchers here, but anywhere else is fine www.ebuyer.com amazon.co.uk and others)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? A year or three. I imagine I'll get a desktop within a year and then keep the laptop for when I need portability.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? None. Maybe a CD drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No personal preference, but I'll be in China and have been told that appearance matters more. So perhaps a mac or a Chinese brand

13. What country do you live in? UK, but I'll be relocating to China in a few months.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I hope this can help people find their ideal notebook.

Additionally... you should also consider what support options are available in your area. If say you buy something abroad, will you be able to have it fixed near where you live? Does the warranty apply? How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops?