UK: Samsung LED TV Ads Are ''Misleading''

Status
Not open for further replies.

verenos

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
At least this didn't go to the EU they would have fined them for the use of a incorrect word and forced them to give the customers other manufacturer's tv mane in a list.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Plasma TVs are also not made with blood plasma harvested from young children in third world countries. I was very displeased to find this out after I purchased one, so I'm going to sue the TV manufacturer in the UK for misleading me.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]dtemple[/nom]I give up on the UK.[/citation]
haha, no doubt.

Every commercial is misleading! ever see a car commercial who advertised gas millage that is achievable by a normal NON senior driver? Every Apple commercial?

As a consumer, I do my research before purchasing electronics I do not know everything about... A TV for instance, I will be doing a lot of reading before dumping 1-2k on my next one to make certain i get what i want.

glubox

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
the consumers are stupid. some of them think that LCD PC Monitors are Plasma. They can't explain the differences between CRT , LCD and Plasma, and now they have LED, something new, they don't know what stands behind L-E-D.

G

totally fair. i had thought after seeing the ad that the tv was one of the new gen OLEDs or something. knowing that its actually just an LCD with lcd 'technology' would stop me from buying it.

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I completely agree with ASA, it was misleading. I saw a commercial for one and thought 'Whoa, whoa, wait. When did they introduce -LED- TVs?'

Good on ya, ASA.

Chrys

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I'm glad at least one government is doing something about it, others should too. It's false advertising and most people believe that they aren't actually LCDs. I was trying to prove that it was just the backlight a few months ago and couldn't even find a footnote on the Samsung advertising website that told the truth.

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Give me a Break :-} Name one single commercial that isn't misleading

(waits)

The Axe Commerical you spray it and women come running from miles around (Ya Only if you spray it while wearing your Black Amex Around your Neck and driving a Lamborghini)

Gobble Sticks a Turkey treat for Children it implies that all other treats for kids will have them bouncing of the walls like a pinball
my 15Year Old doesn't bounce in fact I don't think he would bounce if you put 4 million volts to him.

Rich Chocolate ovalten(SP) you open that up and the all the kids on your block come running to your home (I purchased it once about two years ago it grew mold long before it was ever used up.

I could rattle off on this topic all day but I will close by saying GET a LIFE all TV commericals LIE!

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Plasma TVs are also not made with blood plasma harvested from young children in third world countries. I was very displeased to find this out after I purchased one, so I'm going to sue the TV manufacturer in the UK for misleading me.[/citation]

Plasma is just an ionized gas...

claudeb

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Plasma TVs are also not made with blood plasma harvested from young children in third world countries. I was very displeased to find this out after I purchased one, so I'm going to sue the TV manufacturer in the UK for misleading me.[/citation]
Actually, the name plasma tv is accurate. Plasma is a state of matter, kind of like a gas. In plasma tv's, a gas is excited into plasma.

chuenl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I was initially surprised when Samsung wanted US$3000+ for a 52" LED TV. But looking at how much company is asking for 60W LED light bulb, I could understand the expense. Later on, I realized that Samsung is not totally using LED on those TVs, I just walked away and not even considered buying those LED TVs. Case closed!

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I have to agree with the UK's Advertising Standards Authority. People will be misled in believing its an actual LED display, when in fact LED part of the TV is only the back light.

Its still an LCD tv.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]tester24[/nom]Well if a person is stupid enough to just buy a TV without any research they deserve to be screwed.[/citation]

Yes because we should always do weeks of research just to buy a hair pin ... what if it's not what it says it is, I must research on the internet to see what others think of the hair pin, if I'm a fool not to research then I deserve to be screwed over a hair pin.

No, this is wrong, you should be able to go to a store see a TV set and buy it, "IF you like it" without spending days/weeks of your precious time for a mere consumer product, a simple object, it should be crystal clear what that product does and how it does it, and not waste my valuable time on nonsense like discovering if a company is trying to screw me over.

The world has definitely taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Good job, UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.