UK Tests Firefighting Motorbikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
this might work, i think this can put out a lot of small fires or fires that start, and the bikes can reach areas were large firetruck couldnt and also they can avoid traffic to a certain extent... at first it seemed dumb but then when u think about it it makes sense

plus the fuel savings, this should be put all over the world :p with new tech u dont have to use water there are so many other special chemicals that can be used, this also reminds me of those little robots that can combine and form into larger objects... this should some how use the idea to take and combine bikes houses and other gear for greater reach

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Also not everything the fire service do is to do with fire. They also deal with traffic accidents, although the may not have the equipment to deal with these situations they have the ability to get there first to prepare or give advise to the other rescue services.
They have had medical bikes in london for years and they have proved valulable and its surprising how much stuff they can fit on those bikes.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
oh noes... oh NO!!! AM SPEEDING... AND AM BEING STOPPED BY A TRAFFIC POLICE... OH GOD... I FORGOT TO TAKE IT OUT FROM THE TRUNK...

calm down dude it's just a fire fighter on a motorbike... wha... what do u have in the trunk anyway?

michaelssw

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Good they can flame retard the hell outa people that cut them off in an unmarked car, and pull a gun on them while in civillian clothes then state 5 minutes later "O yea btw I uh.. uphold the law and stuff like that."

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

In the UK our firemen don't tend to carry guns, neither do the majority of police officers. :pfff:

impy1980

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I think these firefighting bikes are a great idea, regardless of the outlay they will save money and lives.

These are fast response vehicles, dealing with small fires, road sides fires that can be nipped in the bud before they get out of control.

If you imagine how long it takes a fire engine to get up and running and how many firefighters are needed to operate it, these bikes are a great way to save resources. Especially when you think how many unnecessary or small call outs there are.

I hope the trials go well and these are brought into service, in my opinion a good way to spend tax payers money, seriously how many call outs require the fire engine and a full crew all the time!

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]0118 999 881 999 119 725......3[/citation]
If we're following IT Crowd logic then the bike will burst into flames at some point.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Based on experience riding motorcycles I say this is a dumb idea. There is a place for motorcycles in public safety but not in fire fighting. A 4WD pickup truck, could carry much more equipment and require no special skills to maneuver. Becoming a pilot takes fewer hours than learning to ride a bike competently.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
As usual, I like the minimalist approach, BUT, I would think that even a Smartcar could be equipped far more comprehensively, and in limited cases may even allow transport of a victim to hospital.

endif

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
[citation][nom]flaminggerbil[/nom]If we're following IT Crowd logic then the bike will burst into flames at some point.[/citation]

Not True. The motorcycles are made in Germany not England! The modified tanks might though :/

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]mousemonkey[/nom]In the UK our firemen don't tend to carry guns, neither do the majority of police officers.[/citation]
yea, that's why in Cumbria another 10 people had to die before they caught the killer. 3 Officers saw him but couldn't do anything useful because they had no weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.