Solved! UltraHD Bluray player with a 1440p PC monitor

May 20, 2018
Hi.
I was hoping for some advice on connecting an UltraHD BluRay player to my PC monitor.
My monitor is Dell U2515H 1440p. My plan was to buy a Sony UBP-X700 and connect both together using HDMI. Will this work at all? Will the player rescale 4k movies to 1440p? And also for the coaxial audio output - will all the audio channels get downmixed to stereo when using that output?
Thank you for any help.

Solution
If the monitor doesn't have HDMI 2.0 the BD player won't send higher than 1920 x 1080 to it.
The coax output won't down mix to stereo unless you set it that way in the audio menu. It doesn't support lossless audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD so you would get better sound using the second audio only HDMI output if your surround sound system supports those codecs.
If the monitor doesn't have HDMI 2.0 the BD player won't send higher than 1920 x 1080 to it.
The coax output won't down mix to stereo unless you set it that way in the audio menu. It doesn't support lossless audio codecs like Dolby TrueHD so you would get better sound using the second audio only HDMI output if your surround sound system supports those codecs.

Solution
May 20, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

I don't need surround, only stereo since I'm using a DAC/AMP and headphones to watch my movies.

As for the video, is HDMI 2.0 the only issue? Isn't there any additional compliance issues with playing UHD? I've seen the name HDCP pop out but I'm not sure what it's about.

TRENDING THREADS