UMD Revisited: No Conversions for PSPgo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I guess Sony never plans to make the PSPgo popular in the United States. I would have considered purchasing a PSPgo, but not if I cannot get digital copies of my current games. I mean, I am sure that there will be a workaround provided by the community, but I expect that I should be able to use the product as delivered or I have no use for it.

Of course, it is Sony's call what they do and do not want to do with the product they sell, just like it is my call whether or not to install customer firmware on the electronics I purchase.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
So if the new PSPgo has no umd drive how will it play games? I have not really looked at any of the PSP's so maybe a dumb question but doe it have another slot/drive to play games?

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]major7up[/nom]So if the new PSPgo has no umd drive how will it play games? I have not really looked at any of the PSP's so maybe a dumb question but doe it have another slot/drive to play games?[/citation]They have already added a ton of PS1 and PSP games to the Playstation Network. If you do not own a PSP 1k to 3k the PSPgo is something to consider.

This doesn't sound like Sony's fault. The Legal issues are probably from contracts with developers and the North American contracts. Converting the hardware PSP game to a digital format for free probably violates some form of distribution contracting.

But given the backwards compatibility issues Sony has faced with the PlayStation 3, the possibility for a UMD rewards program seems more likely to happen five years from now rather than next month.
I'm getting tired of hearing these sideways comments from the writers. Emulation requires DEVELOPMENT of the emulator and maintenance. Legal issues require LAWYERS to negotiate. Two very different types of hold-ups.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
They aren't willing to give you a digital copy of a game you already purchased but I'm sure they would be more than happy to sue your ass for copyright infringement if you downloaded a game you already own to play on the PSP. Funny how that works out. They would love for you to buy the same game twice. It's okay, there was a 0% chance I was going to buy a PSP anyways.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Ok.. for Sony not bragging and also already offering freegames the handheld is going where it belongs. Straight to hell :p That PoS costs as much as a PS3. Before they kept saying BR my ass... WTF kinda player does this have and its so freaking expensive? Its pathetic really. Im glad its no going anywhere and Im glad it will be a failure in time before lots of ppl pay Sony for that shit and then have to throw it away. I rather buy a PSP ( which i dont need.. I eitherway ordered my ZuneHD so that has more hopes even though i bought it for a player and i love it so gaming will be a perk. Nvidia ftw :p ) than pay that shit. Sony didnt learn with the fiasco of the PS3 release back then and still doesnt seem to know what gamers want. Let them burn so they learn instead of ripping us off. I find it better solution to the issue.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
And the Nintendo steamroller just keeps on rolling! Yeah, the DSi broke compatibility with a few things here and there, but sweet Jesus Sony really takes the cake with this one. I guess you could just carry around BOTH PSPs wherever you go! *rolls eyes* I had zero intentions of buying a PSP in the first place... but thanks for giving me one MORE reason not to! You rock Sony!

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
It's not going to happen. That would mean they would have to open up a store just so you can trade your UMD's for a digital copy or you would mail them? Something that would be very difficult to do that's for sure. That or did some of you greedy guys out there think you can say you have this game, get the digital copy of it, then sell it to Gamestop or Toys R Us.

The PSP Go in my opinion is one of the first attempts to see if you can stop the used game business, if it's a profitable market without it and how the public will take it. The way companies like Gamestop see it, you trade in your games and you are able to use the trade-in credit towards new games in the future. The way some gaming companies see it is that ie. one copy of... Uncharted was sold and five different consumers spent $250 (Assuming it was $50) on it, but their profit would only come out of the first $50 and the other $200 was for Gamestop to profit off of.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
PSP is great when you have to go to the Department of Licensing to renew your drivers licence. I played a game, watched a TV series episode, and then listened to music before my number was called.

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
So the main idea of PSP is to have a portable game system, and its secondary functions include playing music, video, and connecting to the internet.
Sony removes the UMD drive necessary to play its current 5-year catalog of PSP titles. Yes, there are PSP titles on the PSN store... but there aren't very many. Not to mention most games are a lot pricier on PSN than they are used, and some are even more expensive than a new UMD copy.
Wouldn't that be like taking the tires off a car and replacing them with train wheels, and saying "Oh you can still take it anywhere there are train tracks, and you can still listen to music with your car stereo, and... it still has keyless entry! But this one's 50% more expensive because it's newer."

fa_q2

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
^+1

This is a terrible move on Sony’s part. I can’t see why anyone would buy a new system that is MORE limited than past generation rather than less. I, for one, will never purchase this system and it is even shying me away from the PS3. If this is the new tactic of Sony then I will not support their company. It is a shame as I absolutely loved the PS2.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
@Honis, you miss the point of that person's post entirely. Sony totally removed a vital part of their hardware platform. This PSPGo is not a "new" completely different platform, it is the SAME PSP without a freaking UMD Drive! It would actually be in Sony's best interest to provide digital copies for people that own those games.

Even if people do not have a PSP to upgrade from, this unit kills your chances to borrow a game from a friend.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
this kind of action will probably encourage people to pirate games. It won't be hard because "go| is bound to be cracked

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Again people who pirate win and those that didn't lose out big time... now why would anyone buy from these companies?

fozzzy

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Why are you complaining when if you look at Sony history the American have goten the shaft time after time. So if you have a Sony prodect and are an american dont complane. If any of you think im lieing just look at sony laptops they sent junk to america while they sent the high end laptops to europe ( and sold them for less ).

lightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Wow......I guess we American's can't catch a break!!! It really makes no sense to come out with a umd-less drive and then not even offer us the fans who helped support the original psp system the chance to convert our library of psp games to the pspgo. Insult to injury we don't even get a chance at the pspgo rewards program but other regions do. I say boycott Sony and all their Bull$hit!!

G

Wow, I can't believe the stupidity behind this PSPGo device ! It's supposed to be a newer version of the PSP, but if I buy one, I will have no way of transferring my existing dozen or so games to it ? Who at Sony really thought this was a good idea ? I have a PSP and I was initially excited to hear that they would be coming out with a version that wouldn't require UMD discs. Now I find out that it's completely pointless for me to upgrade. Way to go SONY !!

Status
Not open for further replies.