Solved! Unable to access the boot configuration Toshiba Satellite P875-S7102

Phil P SR

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
Unable to access the boot configuration Toshiba Satellite P875-S7102

I have gone thru all options for accessing the boot lit.

Toshiba HWsetup will not run from the Toshiba assistant or from direct access running it as admin.

This model does not allow you to use the function keys without using the FN key.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what to try next.

Phil P Sr

I forgot this

Windows 10 64 bit

Solution
Hum....if you are in the BIOS setting, there should be a boot order that you can change. One other possibility is on some machines you can press a particular key at startup that brings up a boot menu. Don't know if that is the case for your machine or what the key may be. It helps if you can change the settings in BIOS that has a delay at startup. There may be a menu that comes up briefly if you do (works that way on my HP).
If you can start Windows and are running Windows 10 (you didnt't say), try Setting/Update & Security/Recovery/Advanced Startup (Restart Now)/Troubleshoot/Advanced Setup/UEFI Settings (assuming you are booting to UEFI vs BIOS. Don't know if this same option is available on all laptops or works with BIOS. Let me know if this works. I may have the sequence a little wrong as I don't want to restart my PC right now, but I am pretty close.

Phil P SR

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
Thanks for the information I have performed the process to access the trouble shooting and I get everything except a boot list where I can move the boot devise order so I can boot from a USB drive or the CD.

Thanks again for trying.

Phil P Sr

Hum....if you are in the BIOS setting, there should be a boot order that you can change. One other possibility is on some machines you can press a particular key at startup that brings up a boot menu. Don't know if that is the case for your machine or what the key may be. It helps if you can change the settings in BIOS that has a delay at startup. There may be a menu that comes up briefly if you do (works that way on my HP).

Solution

Phil P SR

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
Hello All

To bring you up to date here is what I am doing and how I remedied the lack of being able to boot from a USB thump drive. I never was able to access the BIOUS or UEFI and change the boot sequence.

I was trying to Clone the original drive to a SSD.

I had purchase a PNY 1TB SSDKIT this includes free Acronis software that you download from their web site and use the key included with the kit to install Acronis.

All attempts to change the boot order so I could boot from a USB Thumb drive to Clone the SSD failed I did the following.

I removed the original drive and installed the SSD pre-formated NTS MBR.

The turned the computer on.

Got the blank screen with message “no boot device found”.

I plunged the USB boot thumb drive created with Acronis in and restarted the computer.

It booted from the thumb drive and loaded Acronis.

Acronis will recognize a USB drive that is plugged in after Acronis has started. I used the dongle that came with the SSDKIT to plug the old drive in as a USB drive.

It is now Cloning the old drive to the installed SSD.

Phil P Sr

Phil P SR

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
I have the answer

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit reboot

Instructions how to boot Windows 10 Pro 64 bit to a USB device.

From desktop click start button.

Select Settings

Select Update & Security

Select Recovery in left side menu

Under Advanced startup click Restart now

Computer will reboot to a blue screen

Insert USB device and select Continue in the top box

The computer will boot from the USB device if it is a boot device or from the HD. I am not sure if it also looks for boot in the CDR/DVD drive or not.

Phil P SR