Question Unable to boot from a ssd fitted in the optical drive ..Dell Inspiron 14 R N 4010 (i3 processor)

Jul 23, 2019
Laptop details: Dell Inspiron 14RN4010
I'm using a Kingston 480 gb ssd but unable to boot
The system always from the drive in fixed internal hdd .
When i swap the ssd to internal hard drive it boots properly and shows the hdd in caddy too but that time not able to boot from hdd..
The bios shows both the drive but when pressing F12 it only shows hard drive and doesn't list any of both..also not booting from Cd/Dvd drive as boot preference..
Sata operation is set to AHCI

Can u plz guide me what should i do...
Thanks for any help in advance

Nov 6, 2019
I , too have a Dell Inspiron 5775 and had the same exact issue, had formatted, cloned, could not boot from the Optical/DVD drive, and was totally frustrated. I read by some that it could not be done, but with days of researching I found it CAN be done and I did it! The issue is bc newer laptops with Windows 10 have UEFI as the secure boot, and you cannot boot from the DVD or optical drive, SO you must go into BIOS and disable Secure Boot, so that Legacy Boot shows up. With Legacy Boot, you can see your SSD show up and put it first in Boot Order. Viola, it works! I found this info from Neosmart , here's a link that makes it easy to follow. Good luck! https://neosmart.net/wiki/enable-legacy-boot-mode/