Unable to Boot m.2 after cloning SSD using Samsung migration

Oct 10, 2018
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before and for being a newbie. I just upgraded my m.2 to a Samsung 860 EVO 500gb and cloned my Samsung SSD. I am using an Asus laptop model S510u. After a successful cloning and with the old SSD removed. The laptop boot and functioned properly as expected. I then formatted my SSD using my desktop PC using quick format. After SSD was formatted, I re-installed it to my laptop and attempted to start it. My laptop would not boot anymore and on the boot option, the Asus boot option is only recognizing the older Samsung 840 EVO. It does recognize the m.2 as a storage device listed on the Serial ATA port 1. IT does not list it as a boot option using the Windows boot manager. How can I direct or assign the laptop to select the m.2 as the primary boot drive? Do I need to update the bios? It is not as easy as my Asus X370 PRO prime motherboard. The laptop is about 2 years old. I hope I've provided enough details to get the tech support started. Thanks in advance.
[/url]asus by Glenn, on Flickr[/img]

Oct 10, 2018
This is the error message that I get once I install both drives. Apparently that this is a common issue for those who upgrade and/or clone new drives to M.2. I hope someone can assist me with my dilemma.

asus error code by Glenn, on Flickr

rgd1101

Polypheme
MERGED QUESTION
Question from gqtuazon13 : "M.2 unable to boot after cloning SSD using Samsung migration"

Oct 10, 2018

I have to move both M.2 and SSD to my desktop and clone it from there since both drives installed on the PC will not allow me to boot.

The original configuration of the Asus laptop is that it had a 128gb m.2 as the C drive and 1 tb mechanical drive.

Oct 10, 2018
So I finally narrowed down the problem with the Samsung Migration software. I tried a trial version of the Macrium Reflect cloning software and I bought a USB adapter to clone either SSD or M.2. Using the Samsung will result in boot error but if I use a different cloning software, the Asus laptop was able to recognize both drives. All is well now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Laptop Tech Support 1
LifeIsAFairyTail93 Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 0
rahulkumarbudhwani Laptop Tech Support 1
Y Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 5
T Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 8
K Laptop Tech Support 1
iFail101 Laptop Tech Support 5